Stens 120-738 hydro filter

I am going to change the transmission oil in the zero turn. It has the Hydro Gear ZT 3400 transmission. Hydro Gear 52114 is the filter number. I was going
with them for the filter but some of my research says their filter is made in China. I don't mind paying more for an OEM filter if made in the USA but China?
I have read most of Stens filters are made in the USA. Stens number is 120-738. From what I can tell the specs are the same . What filter would you use on a ZT 3400 transmission? In case you want to know I am using M1 15/50 for the oil.

Have fun! Depending what mower you have, it can be a real pain to get to the fill hole. You have to open the fill hole to let the air our even if you are filling via the tanks. I have a Ferris with the 3400's and the fill plugs are covered by the frame.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Have fun! Depending what mower you have, it can be a real pain to get to the fill hole. You have to open the fill hole to let the air our even if you are filling via the tanks. I have a Ferris with the 3400's and the fill plugs are covered by the frame.

From what I see the tank hose goes to inside top side and I see a allen head plug on very top. It looks easy to get to. I will let you know in a about 3 weeks or so. This seems opposite than most other people. Their tank is hook to the top while the bleed/fill is on the side. I plan on removing the wheels to make getting to the filter easier. I plan on pre filling the filters some which most videos do not show.

I didn't own my 2010 model year Cub Z-Force ZTR long enough to change oil and filters on the ZT2800's it had, but on those, the fluid drained when you removed the filters and the refill / level check plugs were on the sides (inboard, top). Just make sure you can get to and remove those refill plugs before you start. They were super tight on mine. In terms of filters, Stens has never steered me wrong. Probably nothing wrong with Chinese aftermarket ones either, it's just that you change these so rarely, I'd want a really good filter.

Filters will be in Friday. The vents are on the top and it takes a 1/4" hex . At first I could barely fit a ratchet in but did not have room
to operate it. Got to looking at it. If I remove the latch setup for the seat, I could extend up the ratchet above the frame and I did remove the plugs.
Installed them back, put seat latch back and now it will be easy oil change later.

I did get to change the filters/oil Saturday. I used the over flow as the vent and filled on the top plug with a long funnel. Filled fast that way.
I do need to change the allen head to hex head next time. I did mess up one of the allen heads by trying to remove it at a slight angle. Don't do it. Next thing
is the the stens filters are eco core type filters. Was not expecting that but I think they should be good to go. I used the same filter socket that fits my Frontier truck.I think its a 65/67 from Walmart.

I see several x-ref options to the OEM Hydro-gear branded 52114 filter.
Stens is one of them, then there is Rotary and Wix xrefs also.
One thing that confuses me: these filters are not supposed to have a bypass valve, because of the alleged high pressure operation. The theory, is that the bypass valve would be open all the time. Yet on the Sten's page
I see : 7-9 PSI pressure relief valve...No anti-drain valve
So it seems to have a pressure relief (aka bypass ), and at a pretty low pressure to boot. Did they post the wrong info?

Ah I see. That filter you link to seems nearly identical to the Hydrogear OEM. Made by Mann-Hummel. Presume it is Wix? . And it says, no bypass. The Stens page must be posting incorrect info. Do you guys have any info on the Rotary brand?

Ah I see. That filter you link to seems nearly identical to the Hydrogear OEM. Made by Mann-Hummel. Presume it is Wix? . And it says, no bypass. The Stens page must be posting incorrect info. Do you guys have any info on the Rotary brand?
The WIX number is WL10102. And yes, it is identical to the NAPA filter. They are both stamped SL10102.
I will link to the Rotary filter. Carquest lists a 94102. I’m not sure that I would trust that.

Back