Steering Rack and Pinion Failing?

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Last night, I heard a moaning/groaning sound when turning left. Can only hear it at low speeds, like when accelerating from a stop sign. Can also hear it when at a complete stop while turning the steering wheel from side to side. (But only when turning it left.)

Fluid level in reservoir is fine. I do get some whine from the pump for a few seconds after a cold start, especially in the winter when outside temperatures are low.

Also occasionionally I get a clunk/thump from the front end when turning. This started about 2 weeks ago. A week ago I raised the vehichle and could find no looseness or play in the ball joints or tie rods. So with the new groaning/moaning noise, it makes me think it may be the rack and pinion and not the pump.

Suggestions?

There is the screen in the power steering fluid reservoir that gets clogged and causes problems similar to what you are describing. I would be changing that reservoir out before you do anything else. Many people have used that fix on that model Caravan with good results.

There is the screen in the power steering fluid reservoir that gets clogged and causes problems similar to what you are describing. I would be changing that reservoir out before you do anything else. Many people have used that fix on that model Caravan with good results.
I left that part out.... I put a brand new reservoir on in May 2020 and it signifcantly reduced the pump noise on a cold start.

So I decided that $20 for yet another Dorman reservoir from Amazon and a quart of oil was worth a try.

Initially, I didn't think it helped. But after driving it a few days, all the moaning/groaning noises when making left turns is now gone. So now I suspect that there was a bit of air in the system. Perhaps the pump cavitated and pulled in some air due to a partially blocked filter screen.

Hopefully it continues to work.

Chrysler called for the p/s to be a bit overfill on these in a TSB. We always left them about 1cm over the full hot line after running them and cycling them to bleed after repairs.

Back