Starting to get impatient!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many quarts 5w-20 synth to 15w-40 HDEO, what ratio do you recommend for that? More synth than HDEO or more HDEO than synth. Seems like a decent plan to me for some engines.

It's generally half-and-half 5W-20 synth/15W-40 HDEO for a middle 30 weight oil. For a simulated modern 5W-30 use a little more 5W-20. For a 5W-20 engine use 2/3rds 5W-20synth/ 1/3rd SAE30 HDEO. It seems to get some crude moved, and works well in a clean engine as well.

HDEO does nothing for me. Seriously. They are great for their higher dispersant/detergent/aw additive levels but are over-hyped as "cleaners." What in an HDEO is going to clean up things that arx and other solvents are missing? Answer: nothing.

BrianWC said:
"Uh, no offense, but did you read my original post?"

Yes I did. With your car's unknown oil change history, I was merely suggesting you use the high mileage protocol.

quote:

Originally posted by axjohn:
BrianWC said:
"Uh, no offense, but did you read my original post?"

Yes I did. With your car's unknown oil change history, I was merely suggesting you use the high mileage protocol.

Actually, I did.

I've run rotella and castrol tection extra. Both have mega doses of zddp and calcium. I didn't use synth 5w20. My car can handle 40 weight fine. No offense intended but, if you are under the impression the synthetic base of the 5W20 is going to aid in the cleaning because of the teeny weeny amount of ester....you should buy a nice sludger car and try it.

HDEO is not going to clean up anything that arx, LC, neutra, or even one of those quicky flushes isn't going to clean faster.

I think it is the small molecule size of the 5W-20 synthetics that separates the carbon and varnish sand from the metal as well as the gasket edges. Why do you think people used to put ATF, MMO, and other thin penetrating oils into the crankcase?

YOYO with the varnished areas. It is tough stuff.

Low viscosity oils literally can "flush" materials out. But mixing it with a 40 weight oil is just going to defeat the purpose. MMO has more solvency than a regular motor oil. Therefore it's even better. Same thing w/ toluene, kerosene, diesel, etc.

This hasn't been my experience. I have gotten engines that did not color conventional oil. But when I switched them to synthetics they would start to unload solid material, and foul out the oil. I think this is because of the penetrating quality of the smaller molecules in the synth oil.

Once I realize this is happening to the engine, I will switch it to a synth/HDEO blend of correct viscosity. I can't believe the amount of solid crud that is released into the drainpan. Once the oil stops fouling out, I go to my oil of choice.

You DO realize it's not always about color, right?

Foul out the oil?

Do you actually take apart your filters and look? Did you pull your valve covers or oil pan?

Synth's solvency usually comes from esters mixed in to balance out the PAO. Esters also give redline its rep. for cleanliness (since it's got a higher percentage) and of course, are the cleaning agents in auto rx.

If the solution was just to run 5W20, I think we'd have this sludge thing licked.

Uh, I want that stuff gone.

-

I'm not trying to turn this into an effectiveness of arx thread. I already noted it worked a bit over two apps.

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Foul out the oil?

I'm not talking about solvency, and I'm most definitely not talking about esters. The HDEO's have the ability to handle the SOLIDS.

Also, I have several recent acquisitions out here that make your engine look like a picture of cleanliness. Two I will clean as they run, one I will hand clean. Maybe you should tear yours down and hand clean it while you redesign the PCV system. This will give you a 100% chance of success.

Solids? What special quality of HDEOs allows them to handle solids?? And what exactly do you mean by solids?
grin.gif

Thanks for the breakdown of the pic. I'm quite away of what's in my engine. Trust me.
wink.gif

Can youy tell me how you arrived at the 20k to go number?

quote:

Originally posted by dmatulion:
Why would anyone mix oils?

Why not..do you think it will explode or cause catisrophic failure of your engine???? We here this all the time ..for some reason I the don't mix oil urban ledgebd was past down from father to son....kinda like down shifting to help with breaking...what would you rather replace..a $35 set of brake pads or a $500.00 clutch job???

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
And what exactly do you mean by solids?
grin.gif

The solids are soot and baby sludgeballs that are small enough to pass through the filter media. I think the dispersants in the HDEO keep this stuff from falling out of suspension.

Are you still getting alot of black particles trapped in the filter and in the drainpan? When you only see varnish sand in the drainpan, you will know that the sludging is largely licked. I see freckling on the far pan rail, so something you are doing is working. In my experience you still have 20K to 50K+ miles to go without a specialized cleaner.

BrianWC- WOW........did you try an LC20 flush at all or just the 1oz per qt?

Looks pretty bad in there.

After mixing up your new oil concoction do you send it off to the lab to see what you have or do you know more then the chemists at the major petroleum companies? By the way you can find many posts on the net that don't recommend mixing oils!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back