Starting Christmas Eve to New Years Day.... What's on the Menu?

Traditionally, we have an Hors D’oeuvre spread on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Sometimes there is peel and eat shrimp.... always chips and dip..... Veggie Plate...... sometimes good, green chili, pork tamales...... Egg Nog with some Christmas Cheer (straight from Kentucky)

Today, for the first time, the wife decided to start a new tradition..... Christmas Eve Lunch of Cheese Enchiladas topped with diced onions and her phenomenal Spanish Rice.

Christmas breakfast are 80 year old recipes.... Vinegar Rolls and Sausage Balls.....

Christmas Dinner.... @ 2pm... Ham, Sweet Potato and Salad.

New Years Breakfast.... Venison, Biscuits and Cream Gravy

New Years Dinner.... @2pm.... Prime Rib, Scalloped Potatoes, Salad

How about the rest of you..... Heck you might give me a great idea and change my traditions! hahahahaha

Tonight we'll be having an assortment of cheese and vegetables with either bread, breadsticks or crostini for antipasto. A fish fry is always the main course (we don't eat meat on Christmas eve), pasta, pizza, and other grilled or steamed vegetables with a salad. Fruit, cake, cookies, panettone and torrone. I'll post tomorrow once I know what we're having on Christmas day.

We haven't decided on the NYE menu just yet.

Last edited:
Christmas Eve is traditionally a meatless day for us. Christmas Eve dinner will have porcini mushroom borscht soup, fish, kraut&mushroom pierogi, vegetable salad (finely chopped carrot, parsley root, celery root, apple, pickle, onion, egg, peas, mayo), and some nutella babka for dessert.

Ham and Mac & Cheese, pineapple stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet corn and mashed potatoes tonight. Turkey, stuffing etc. for Christmas Day. New Year’s will be pork & sauerkraut, mashed potatoes,

Cheese Enchiladas and Spanish rice. :love:

VxXRd8w.jpg

I should mention, because of meat prices.... I had foregone the whole idea of Prime Rib for New Years.....

Then yesterday, we stepped into Safeway Grocery and they had 'bone in', Prime Rib for $5.99 a lb.

It's just the wife and I, so I picked a well-marbled, 3 pounder......

I will sear over charcoal.... then start slow-smoking over Mesquite, finishing... wrapped in foil to hold in the juices.

I seared and slow-cooked (wedding present which has yet to disappoint) a 5 lb. bottom round yesterday.

I gave some to neighbors (older folk) and they told me they rescheduled Christmas until New Years at least.
My food is now their Christmas Eve dinner. There's my Christmas 'warm and fuzzy'....seriously.

BigJohn: That plate made me drool on my keyboard. I'm on a weight loss diet as well.

I should mention, because of meat prices.... I had foregone the whole idea of Prime Rib for New Years.....

Then yesterday, we stepped into Safeway Grocery and they had 'bone in', Prime Rib for $5.99 a lb.

It's just the wife and I, so I picked a well-marbled, 3 pounder......

I will sear over charcoal.... then start slow-smoking over Mesquite, finishing... wrapped in foil to hold in the juices.

Dinner at Big John's?

Tonight is tamales, enchiladas, sopes, carnitas, carne & pollo asada, rice n beans at my gfs sisters house.
Tomorrow for breakfast either ham n eggs w/ diced Yukon gold taters in the air fryer or Costco muffins 😂
Dinner will be cast iron cooked ribeyes & more Yukon gold taters in the air fryer.
Sunday when the kidlets come back, I have no idea.

Christmas Eve whatever restaurant is open. I offered to buy my folks Chinese food but they didn’t want that so I’m being forced to force seafood down 🤢. And I hate this seafood place because they won’t fry tilapia I’ve never had a place refuse to fry tilapia so I had to get catfish. Christmas Day we always do French toast breakfast then whatever grandma is making for dinner. My mom makes killer French toast and we picked up some fresh real maple 🍁 syrup tonight to have. New Years my dad always wants to go to K&W and get hog jowls which I like but I don’t want anything that comes out of their kitchen. Maybe I’m just picky lol but I hate bad food and anything but Chinese or fast food just nothing appeals to me but that.

The last few years we have been doing Chicken Enchiladas and a Ham, A Mexican rice dish, and chips and salsa. We used to always keep it traditional. Since changing it up we all seem to like it.

Back