starter click; need help with starter selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
problems again with my son's 03 ion-2 sedan (2.2L ecotec, 5-speed Aisin AT). sounds like i need a new starter. alternator was recently replaced and battery (2013) tested good recently.
I went to RockAuto and they have many options:

2003 SATURN ION 2.2L L4 : Electrical : Starter Motor

TYC Part # 106493 {#89017756} One of our most popular parts
Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction; OE Manufacturer: Delco; Power: 1.2KW $65.79

PURE ENERGY Part # 6493SN 9 Teeth One of our most popular parts $90.79

REMY Part # 96213 New Remy Gold 9 teeth $109.79

PURE ENERGY Part # 6493S Remanufactured $119.79

ACDELCO Part # 3371026 {#88877125} Professional $131.79

DENSO Part # 2805378 Reman $143.79

ACDELCO Part # 3361933A {#88864477} Professional; Remanufactured
DELCO; PG260D; Unit MFR DE; kW Rating 1.1; Drive Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction; 336-1933A; 6Y2; 0050A $149.79

REMY Part # 25902 Premium Remanufactured $162.79

ACDELCO Part # 3231632 GM Original Equipment||Remanufactured
DELCO SERIES PG260D (Only 2 Remaining) $258.79

I'm especially confused by the 9 teeth part. Which one should i order?
Thanks!

I would buy the Denso. I got one of their reman alternators years ago and it worked perfectly and appeared to be a high-quality reman.

it's a good thought, but the car started fine on like the 10th try this AM. BTW, this is 100% florida car, so no rust issues, but could be some wetness. when i had problems like that in the past (various other cars), starter would eventually die for good short time later, creating a major inconvenience, so to me this is a sign to look for a new starter. besides, at 136,000 miles this thing is probably worn out.

It might be a bad ignition switch. Easy enough to check, just check for power with a test light at the small wire when someone turns the key to start.

If it doesn't light, it could be a relay or switch problem, this is quickly diagnosed.
If it does light rap the starter with a hammer, if it works its probably worn brushes which are easily replaced.

+1 on the Denso or OE. The new ones listed are Chinese junk.

Last edited:
check relay, check grounds and terminals. check battery voltage and load test it. remember starter gets grounded from block and block gets grounded from grounding straps. There could be a bad spot in starter cable. carefully bend wires with someone else holding the key at the start position. if all that fails or passes take the starter to get rebuilt. Could be a very cheap fix from a starter rebuild place.

Hit the starter with a hammer when it isn't acting up and see if that makes a difference.

If it is Denso starter, then replacing the contacts is all you really need. I did it on Camry and the only issue I had was that one of the bolt needed a thin socket but otherwise it was pretty straightforward. I replaced contacts and plunger.

Agree with the choice to buy new parts and rebuild yourself. The Denso name on a reman means nothing like what it does on a new part.

I'd be curious to see what kind of starter it ACTUALLY is hiding under the GM nameplate. GM were one of the last holdouts using in-house starter and alternator designs instead of Denso, Mitsubishi, or Bosch, but modern GM products sure sound like Denso or Mitsu starters to me.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

ACDELCO Part # 3361933A {#88864477} Professional; Remanufactured
DELCO; PG260D; Unit MFR DE; kW Rating 1.1; Drive Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction; 336-1933A; 6Y2; 0050A $149.79

ACDELCO Part # 3231632 GM Original Equipment||Remanufactured
DELCO SERIES PG260D (Only 2 Remaining) $258.79

What's the difference between those two?

It sounds like one is a Delco branded reman done by uncle billy in some shop with salad forks and the other a real Delco in house rebuild.
Just a guess.

+1
Had the same problem years ago with a Denso gear reduction starter on an old Civic.
Cleaning the contactor ring made it function as new again.
136K isn't much for a starter on a modern FI car.

while i'm waiting for the rebuilt kit, my son reported no problems with the starter today. today is the first day it didn't rain a lot in a week. we got 10+" of rain just the Sunday night. the car is parked outside. could it be just the humidity and moisture inside the starter?

a follow up:
the starter was fine inside and little wear of the brushes and gears and didn't need to be rebuild now. the connections were clean and tight. the solenoid was very corroded outside and this part probably failed (the starter worked intermittently the last week).

for a total cost of $45 (including E sockets I needed) and some father-son bonding time, it was totally worth it.

BTW, the starter was labeled "Delco Remy" and "GM" and some numbers. Probably OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back