Starnge Problem Installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've recently posted, I have built a new machine and finally got it up and running. Over the long weekend I took inventory of the various parts scattered around the house and decided to put them together and build a computer for my in-laws.

I'm using a Jetway V400DBL MB with a Athlon 2800+ processor, Seagate IDE 120g HD, and ASUS video card.

When I tried to install XP SP2 it got as far as the select partition screen. When I hit enter to select the only partition on the drive, I got the Window's blue screen of death.

The drive had XP on it previously (corrupted), so I did a low-level format using the Seagate tools.

Same problem. I decided to try an earlier version of XP, and it installed flawlessly. Any thoughts on why? I don't need SP2, but I am curious about the cause.

SP2 installed just fine on my recent new build.

Perhaps the SP2 CD did not have a driver that was needed. However, you shouldn't have any issues when installed SP2 by itself.

You do need SP2, it has many security features built in, and Microsoft is going to, if they haven't already, quit supporting anything earlier.

Consider chopping the HD into two partitions? Install XP on the first one, naturally.

If you install XP, then make sure the IDE drivers are 100%, then update to SP2 from within XP, that might work. Sounds like the SP2 disc has a low-level driver that disagrees with your system when booting off the CDROM. Might be able to force it to work by hitting F6/F8 when it asks if you have a SCSI or other driver (and you have the necessary driver). But by then it may be easier to do a naked XP then have it go through all the service packs.

You need to get the IDE drivers for your chipset on a floppy. Windows probably doesn't have the drivers for your chipset. When the XP setup is starting up it will prompt you to press F6 to load a driver disk. Insert the floppy with the drivers and you will be fine.

The problem is that Windows can't access your HD.

It looks like most Jetway boards use SIS chipset, so those are the drivers you need. They are available on the website or on the CD that came with the motherboard.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I'll try installing XP SP2 now that XP is on. If that fails, I'll start over with a HD driver disk handy.

The Bios is the latest version.

I am going to install Linux on the laptop so I can ease into a new OS. When I get comfortable, I'll switch the desktop over.

I have checked out the gparted site and may try it when/if I understand all that I am reading.

I've had this issue before.
Clean your Windows CD's.
I would also reformat the harddrive since their might've been an issue with the previous format. If possible, stick it in another computer, format unconditionally(not quick format), and run a thorough scandisk(fill in checkbox options). Flaky drives will hose some OS installs.

Also, load the bios's default settings. Performance/optimized or owner adjusted settings could cause this to happen.
Once windows is installed, along with newest version of drivers for all motherboard components, you can then tweak the bios later.

Since you're not serial drive, and not raid'd, xp2 should have no problem installing with default MS default slow/weak drivers.

I've seen this before- sounds like the partition table is corrupted. When you get to the screen to select the partition don't try to install Windows on it. Delete the existing partition, then create a new partition, and then do a quick format using NTFS file system. Then you should be able to load Windows normally.

After lots of playing (and frustration) I found that the HD cable had come a bit loose from the MB. Not all the way out, but up enough on one side that all pins were not making solid connection. Once I pushed the cable down, it installed flawlessly.

Could be a spurious relationship, but since I pushed the cable on no troubles - about 3 days now. Still holding my breath, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back