Standard duty clutch with a severe duty fan

I recently purchased a 1995 Grand Cherokee 4.0L and the severe duty clutch is unbearable with the roar all the time. The clutch was shot and every listing for this Jeep is a severe duty so that's what I put in it, Hayden #2796. After a few weeks of the roar I stopped at Car Craft and bought a standard duty clutch for a Cherokee, same motor 4.0L Hayden #2625. My gas milage went from mid teens to mid 20's!!! and best is the obnoxious ROAR is gone and overall acceleration and passing power is greatly improved. My question is will the steep pitch of the severe fan be OK with the standard duty clutch? Running temps are great and the fan still moves a lot of air. I'm reluctant to replace the fan blades with a Cherokee fan because of the current running temps but I also don't want to ruin the clutch.

Opinions??

My opinions come from my days at AAP, replace the fan clutch and fan together, cheap fixes frequently cost you in the end, in fact one of the last things i did before leaving AAP was to help a customer get the fan clutch off the waterpump they can be tough to get off

A Chrysler/Jeep dealer replaced the cooling fan clutch on the 4.0L in my 1994 Jeep Cherokee when it started roaring on every takeoff. It was still under the 3yr/36K mile warranty at the time. Not sure if the fan came with it.

My opinions come from my days at AAP, replace the fan clutch and fan together, cheap fixes frequently cost you in the end, in fact one of the last things i did before leaving AAP was to help a customer get the fan clutch off the waterpump they can be tough to get
Never was about a cheap fix I ended up buying two fan clutches and the blades are steel so no reason to replace them. I had to get rid of the obnoxious severe duty roar all the time.

A Chrysler/Jeep dealer replaced the cooling fan clutch on the 4.0L in my 1994 Jeep Cherokee when it started roaring on every takeoff. It was still under the 3yr/36K mile warranty at the time. Not sure if the fan came with it.
I'm concerned about the Grand Cherokee severe duty fan used on a standard duty clutch, if that even matters.

I think you should be just fine.. My mom's S-10 has a new fan clutch like you're describing. Roars a lot and it gets bad MPG's.. The A/C is great at idle though.
I want to make this work with todays gas prices, 18mpg going to 25mpg is great with a simple fan clutch change.

The clutch is a hydraulic unit, there aren’t any parts that scrape or rub, and they don’t really ”latch” 100%, you should be good to keep the heavy duty fan.

The clutch is a hydraulic unit, there aren’t any parts that scrape or rub, and they don’t really ”latch” 100%, you should be good to keep the heavy duty fan.
Thanks that's what I was thinking, no real contact it's all fluid. Wish they made a severe clutch that free wheels like a standard duty and didn't ROAR all..the..time..

Back