severe duty fan clutch?

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Use a Express/Savana 3500 6.0L Fan Clutch part# 25744727.....It's a direct replacement & seriously outperforms a GMT800 clutch without the roaring!

But this is the one I have! that interchanges to 2786
smile.gif

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search/cross-reference?q=25744727

The OE heavy duty clutch does not act like a Hayden severe duty clutch, The interchange means nothing. You're dealing with mis engineered aftermarket junk.

I would even watch out for the Acdelco line not being true OE.

Use a Express/Savana 3500 6.0L Fan Clutch part# 25744727.....It's a direct replacement & seriously outperforms a GMT800 clutch without the roaring!

smile.gif

The OE heavy duty clutch does not act like a Hayden severe duty clutch, The interchange means nothing. You're dealing with mis engineered aftermarket junk.

Like the "Advantage" line ?? lol . I Scored some Delco "Advantage" rotors on amazon $15 each and on the box said they were "Made in china"

Dave

I bought a cheap fan clutch for a previous BMW. It behaved the same as my '78 Chevy G30. Locked up for the first minutes, super loud. Overcooled in the winter. I used to just pull the fan out in the winter and run without it.

Dogememe, I'm in the same boat as you with clutch fan lol. But with my '01 SIlverado HD 6.0 LQ4 lol

Probably gonna play it safe and stick with the o'reilly's HD version # 2744, Sever Duty sounds great in this "TEXAS OVEN" that i live in, But I don't need to hear any "jet engine roar" and kill my already low MPG's lol

Dave

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Dogememe, I'm in the same boat as you with clutch fan lol. But with my '01 SIlverado HD 6.0 LQ4 lol

Probably gonna play it safe and stick with the o'reilly's HD version # 2744, Sever Duty sounds great in this "TEXAS OVEN" that i live in, But I don't need to hear any "jet engine roar" and kill my already low MPG's lol

Dave

I work at the O and my cost for the severe duty fan clutch was an extra $2 and the reason I went with the severe duty was because the "heavy duty" one was super light and half the size of the OE unit. The "severe duty" unit was similar in weight and size to the OE unit.

smile.gif

Gotcha. Well at the price point of the genuine part I'll save up for e-fans and when I can afford e-fans I'll return the fan clutch for a refund.

Put a severe duty in our RV and don't regret it. Yes it's loud but rarely gets above 210 now. I put in tow/haul mode to keep it engaged at slower speeds. It works better than the aftermarket I put in the Dakota.. I had to take it off since it was engaged all the time due to the electric fan.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
Put a severe duty in our RV and don't regret it. Yes it's loud but rarely gets above 210 now. I put in tow/haul mode to keep it engaged at slower speeds. It works better than the aftermarket I put in the Dakota.. I had to take it off since it was engaged all the time due to the electric fan.

Any mpg changes in the RV with it?

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Any mpg changes in the RV with it?

Not that I recall.. but it was put on 7 years/50k ago and that was when we first got it. Averaged 8.9 on a recent trip to Key West which is about normal.

It is louder because it is pulling more air. It isn't going to hurt anything, but as others have said it may cost you a bit of power and MPG.

Originally Posted by Avery4
It is louder because it is pulling more air. It isn't going to hurt anything, but as others have said it may cost you a bit of power and MPG.

Yeah it definitely costs me responsiveness. Especially on a cold start or when it's super hot out it's like wheeeeeeeeeew and I feel like I am towing a 10000lb trailer. I'll leave it for now and then safe up for a good electric fan setup. Thanks all for your input. I knew I'd get a good answer!

Comparing a Van Chassis to a Truck Chassis isn't apples to apples, Vans come with a more aggressive clutch & fan from the factory because the cooling stack is less efficient than a truck/suv model.

Running a Express/Savana Clutch is the best compromise I've found for Noise & Air Flow on GMT800 trucks/SUV's. I'd like to run the van fan as well....But it's too big in diameter to fit.

Comparing a Van Chassis to a Truck Chassis isn't apples to apples, Vans come with a more aggressive clutch & fan from the factory because the cooling stack is less efficient than a truck/suv model.

Running a Express/Savana Clutch is the best compromise I've found for Noise & Air Flow on GMT800 trucks/SUV's. I'd like to run the van fan as well....But it's too big in diameter to fit.

The stock fan clutch didn't come on till it was almost in the red so don't think that's correct. It could of been bad at 8 years and only 26k.. even being a GM part I highly doubt it.

Something was wrong with your original clutch, Just installed a LQ4 6.0L in a 2003 Tahoe & used a new 25744727 clutch. It would start to noticeably couple at @ 210° ETC on a 97° day with the A/C on. And I've used them in the past on several GMT800 trucks with great results.

Back