Stanadyne Performance Formula ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a 12 valve cummins. Usually I’ll run ashless ST 2 stroke oil at about 1/2-1 oz per gallon of diesel.

Yesterday, I was at a farm and ranch store and they had Stanadyne Performance Formula in a 5 gallon pail marked down to $79 so I bought it. [censored], the 1/2 gallon was $30 so it seemed like a bargain

Anybody use this stuff? Any recommendations? Use it by itself or with 2 stroke for added lubricity? Would using them together eliminate any of the advantages of either product?

I use it regularly in my PSD, but I use it for water in the fuel and lubrication versus any potential performance gains. You did get a very good deal on it and Stanadyne has been on clearance for a while due to a rebranding of the product.

As an aside, I have found no valid information that 2 cycle oil increases lubricity in the slightest. I posted something on this a few months ago, give a quick search and you should be able to find it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

As an aside, I have found no valid information that 2 cycle oil increases lubricity in the slightest. I posted something on this a few months ago, give a quick search and you should be able to find it.

Looked and couldn’t find it....

I use it regularly in my PSD, but I use it for water in the fuel and lubrication versus any potential performance gains. You did get a very good deal on it and Stanadyne has been on clearance for a while due to a rebranding of the product.

It definitely helped on my '02 Ram's VP44, before it got bad enough & I could shop enough Dodge dealers to get it replaced under 100K engine warranty. My Stanadyne mechanical IPs seem to like an occasional quart in winter, when the ULSD is drier than usual. I don't use it in CR diesels, though, just PS silver bottle.

Used it on my stepfather's '95 Chevy with the 6.5 Turbo diesel. It ate injection pumps. Many replaced under extended warranty. After Performance Formula used religiously, zero injection pump failures. It was worth the price since truck was past extended warranty.

Originally Posted By: huntsonora
Here is a link to the report that I posted: 2-Stroke Oil In Diesel – A Technical Study

Interesting! I know for a fact that it quiets down my old 12 valve. Those 12 valves will run on about anything though.

Regardless, I can buy B20 here close and I could buy 30 gallons at a time in 5 gallon Scepter cans and put 5 gallons in at each fill up and it’ll be better than 2stroke and have been considering doing that anyway

Here is a link to the report that I posted: 2-Stroke Oil In Diesel – A Technical Study

Looked at that study and they were running JASO-FC oil through common rails and not the ashless TCW-3. JASO-FC oils have higher levels of zinc don’t they?

I have a 1998 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a 12 valve cummins. Usually I’ll run ashless ST 2 stroke oil at about 1/2-1 oz per gallon of diesel.

Yesterday, I was at a farm and ranch store and they had Stanadyne Performance Formula in a 5 gallon pail marked down to $79 so I bought it. [censored], the 1/2 gallon was $30 so it seemed like a bargain

Anybody use this stuff? Any recommendations? Use it by itself or with 2 stroke for added lubricity? Would using them together eliminate any of the advantages of either product?

It may be old stock. The PF has a temperature dependant shelf life, I think they only guarantee the effectiveness for 2-3 years from date of production.

Source: Called stanadayne and asked about age degradation. I was given 1 gallon of the PF by a co-worker for free, it is 8-10 years old but I've been using it with no ill effects.

Looked at that study and they were running JASO-FC oil through common rails and not the ashless TCW-3. JASO-FC oils have higher levels of zinc don’t they?
I have not found any evidence in all of my searching that TCW (2-Cycle Oil) improves lubricity in the fuel in a modern diesel engine. I wish it did, 2-Cycle oil is much cheaper than Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen, Howe's, and the like.

I have not found any evidence in all of my searching that TCW (2-Cycle Oil) improves lubricity in the fuel in a modern diesel engine. I wish it did, 2-Cycle oil is much cheaper than Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen, Howe's, and the like.

But the 2 stroke used in the study wasn’t the TCW-3 that is recommended. I can tell you for a fact that my 12 valve is quieter and smoother when it has the TCW-3 added to the fuel

I can tell you for a fact that my 12 valve is quieter and smoother when it has the TCW-3 added to the fuel

Looked at a few TC-W3 oils; anywhere from 30 - 50 cSt @ 40°C
Per Chevron, ULSD is 2.6 cSt @ 40°C

Makes sense that when adding a exponentially more viscous component to the base fuel you're seeing quieter operation.

https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chevron/operations/documents/diesel-fuel-tech-review.pdf

But the 2 stroke used in the study wasn’t the TCW-3 that is recommended. I can tell you for a fact that my 12 valve is quieter and smoother when it has the TCW-3 added to the fuel
I understand, but I am saying I have not found any evidence that any form of two stroke oil increases lubricity in diesel fuel. If you have found some, please share--it would be great to use that instead of the other additives, although lubricity is only part of it, I also want to control water in the fuel.

OP's truck is a 1998 which I don't think it is categorized as the modern diesel.
So, any diesel additive including 2 cycle oil is probably good.

I have a 95 6.5L Turbo Diesel and I used the 2 cycle mix with diesel additive with good results.
Now, the results are not scientific but I had the diesel for more than 12 years now and the IP is still good.

The Stanadyne stuff is good enough that when VW released a TSB around 2004 about fuel gelling in the winter, that was the approved product sold at VW dealerships.

Stanadyne is a demulsifier, so it will cause the water in the fuel to separate, hoping that it happens at the fuel filter (where it could be drained), but, usually occurs in the fuel tank instead.

Of course, I couldn't pay for marked up items, so I just used PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement, which is a lot less expensive at that time for me. PowerService is a solubilizer, where the water is mixed into the diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back