Stanadyne performance additive mixed with HVO ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a good idea to add stanadyne performance formula to HVO? I would like to increase the lubricity as this is a dry fuel. This is a modern HPCR diesel application.

Is it worthwhile? Do I need it?

Are cetane additives like 2-EHN effectiveness diminished if the fuel already has a high rating? Do they only improve low quality diesel fuels?

The cost is irrelevant as I got a gallon of this stuff from a co-worker for free. I plan on using it, if it is worthwhile.

Stanadyne Performance Formula already has lubricity improvers in it, are you trying to increase the levels? I am not sure you need more or if there is even a way to know if you increased it by using hydrogenated vegetable oil as an additional additive. I would use the Stanadyne as is--I have used the performance and lubricity formulas as well as Diesel Kleen and Howe's with good results. Though they are not overly noisy, my injectors **seem** to be a little quieter using one of these additives versus not having an additive.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
Is it a good idea to add stanadyne performance formula to HVO? I would like to increase the lubricity as this is a dry fuel. This is a modern HPCR diesel application.

Exactly as it stated above. The fuel source is HVO. HVO is a dry fuel so I would like to add lubricity. I also asking if the cetane boost effect of 2-ehn (also in stanadyne) works with a high cetane fuel or does the effect plateau at a certain point.

HVO is Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil. Not Hydrogenated. Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil is a food additive and contributes to cardiovascular disease.

Last edited:

HVO is Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil. Not Hydrogenated. Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil is a food additive and contributes to cardiovascular disease.

?????

Is this a commercially available fuel?

Exactly as it stated above. The fuel source is HVO. HVO is a dry fuel so I would like to add lubricity. I also asking if the cetane boost effect of 2-ehn (also in stanadyne) works with a high cetane fuel or does the effect plateau at a certain point. HVO is Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil. Not Hydrogenated. Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil is a food additive and contributes to cardiovascular disease.
All cetane boosters top out at some point typically boosting poor quality fuel more versus higher quality--i.e. the higher the initial cetane the less it will boost. 10/4 on the hydrotreated oil, autocorrect for the win on my phone. If this is very dry fuel, you are going to want to over treat it in an effort to boost lubricity. Stanadyne makes a lubricity formula, but I know you said that you had the performance stuff for free.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

?????

Is this a commercially available fuel?

We have limited availability of HVO in California. Not sure about other states, but I think it is manufactured in TX and LA so it may be available there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back