ST10060 vs ST12060

Whats the difference? According to the Walmart website they both cross to a PF64. Both numbers come up when I search my cars.

Is that a good thing? Will it hurt anything if I run it?
What are you running it on? GM LS engines without the high pressure oil pump (like the 6.0 LQ4 Express in my sig) & Chrysler engines use the 10060, the higher pressure ones use the 12060. If you have an LS with a somewhat worn oil pump & bearings, & low oil pressure, I think the higher bypass filter could be a little risky if the filter plugs. We have a 2019 Express at work with 200K, the hot idle oil pressure is ~20 PSI-I wouldn’t want a plugged 12060 filter on it, it might have issues pushing oil through the bypass…

I use the longer 10575 filter on my 08’ LS 4.8. It sticks out a little farther and is easier to get ahold of. When GM changed the bypass pressure rating for the newer engines, instead of Fram creating a new part number, they just increased the rating on the old part number. Wix and some others made a different filter.
If you look down in the filter at the bypass valve you will see they are different colors. I think black was for the low pressure and yellow or orange for the high.

I had a wix Wl 10290 that a shop put on end my cars calls for. The psi on that is 22, so it looks like the 12060 is the way to go. Thanks for the help guys!

We have a 2019 Express at work with 200K, the hot idle oil pressure is ~20 PSI-I wouldn’t want a plugged 12060 filter on it, it might have issues pushing oil through the bypass…
Even if the oil filter was so plugged that its bypass would open at hot idle, the PD oil pump will still be putting out the same oil volume at idle, and the pump output pressure will increase accordingly to maintain that positive displacement oil flow. Since most oil pressure sensors are located after the filter, you will not see an oil pressure change as the filter dP changes from loading, unless the pump hits pressure relief. It takes a lot of engine RPM with pretty cold thick oil to get an oil pump to hit pressure relief.

Reactions: JTK
It was Fram that came out with the 12060 the
Whats the difference? According to the Walmart website they both cross to a PF64. Both numbers come up when I search my cars.
It was GM and Fram that drove the changes. The 10060 fit LS V-8 engines up to and including the Gen IV in 2013. When the Gen V came out in 2014 with a variable pressure pump, Fram did two things, they upped the bypass setting on the 10575 and they finally developed a 12060 with the higher bypass rating.

It was Fram that came out with the 12060 the

It was GM and Fram that drove the changes. The 10060 fit LS V-8 engines up to and including the Gen IV in 2013. When the Gen V came out in 2014 with a variable pressure pump, Fram did two things, they upped the bypass setting on the 10575 and they finally developed a 12060 with the higher bypass rating.
Is the 12060 mainly an AFM and 3.6 liter thing? I was surprised to see our ’19 6.0 Express also called for the 10060/PF48, believe it’s an LQ4 too (& yes, it has iffy oil pressure just like my ‘11 does!).

Is the 12060 mainly an AFM and 3.6 liter thing? I was surprised to see our ’19 6.0 Express also called for the 10060/PF48, believe it’s an LQ4 too (& yes, it has iffy oil pressure just like my ‘11 does!).
Most of this was driven by the LS V-8 engines and was about the variable pressure oil pumps. The 6.0 gas was never updated to a Gen V. Instead they produced the 6.6 gas engine for the 3/4 tons and at that time they updated to the PF 63.( and the resulting higher by-pass pressure) The 6.0 was then retired. A Fram 10575 is suitable if you have enough clearance and the 12060 is the shorter version.

8C25E4C3-A0D1-4B71-89E0-1D74AFF510B4.jpeg

Last edited:
I use the longer 10575 filter on my 08’ LS 4.8. It sticks out a little farther and is easier to get ahold of. When GM changed the bypass pressure rating for the newer engines, instead of Fram creating a new part number, they just increased the rating on the old part number. Wix and some others made a different filter.
If you look down in the filter at the bypass valve you will see they are different colors. I think black was for the low pressure and yellow or orange for the high.
From some postings in 2020, I recall the new 10575 has a white bypass valve. The black one would be discontinued by now.

Last edited:
Most of this was driven by the LS V-8 engines and was about the variable pressure oil pumps. The 6.0 gas was never updated to a Gen V. Instead they produced the 6.6 gas engine for the 3/4 tons and at that time they updated to the PF 63.( and the resulting higher by-pass pressure) The 6.0 was then retired. A Fram 10575 is suitable if you have enough clearance and the 12060 is the shorter version.

View attachment 182760
GM has the right idea-unlike Ford's Transit 150/350/350 that seem to want to blow themselves up going up a hill with a load... Or merging... Even upwind! We just got one back from a tranny rebuild at 120K from doing the 10R80 "hang & bang"-and at 71K, mine won't be far behind. Our joke is 150K in "Transit miles" is comparable to 450K in "Express/Savana miles"!

This question just hit me as well. I just completed an oil change on my daughter's 2016 chevy malibu 2.5L (2015 body style). I took off a ST12060 I had put on it in the spring and had a new ST10060 to put on it now. I purchased both these filters at different times at a local Walmart. Not sure if the store "lookup" guided me this way or it was my mistake. Either way, they look/fit like the same filter.

This question just hit me as well. I just completed an oil change on my daughter's 2016 chevy malibu 2.5L (2015 body style). I took off a ST12060 I had put on it in the spring and had a new ST10060 to put on it now. I purchased both these filters at different times at a local Walmart. Not sure if the store "lookup" guided me this way or it was my mistake. Either way, they look/fit like the same filter.
The PF48 and PF64 look and fit the same too. The difference is the bypass pressure requirements.

Back