ST Advanced 20K Mile 0W-20 - 5000 miles - 2020 Toyota Tundra

Everything looks great. The last run before this one was Castrol Edge EP 0w-20. I can run any approved oil and it will do well in this engine. Going for 10k OCIs with Castrol edge EP again this time.

Tundra.jpg

Great run. Doesn't get much better than that! Think I'd try 7500 before 10,000. Just sayin'.

I agree the numbers look good.

Seeing the TBN rise across the three UOAs caught my eye. In the same OCI (5K mi) it rose from 2.1 to 4.0.

I wonder what could be the cause of this? Were the driving conditions different across the separate OCIs?

I agree the numbers look good.

Seeing the TBN rise across the three UOAs caught my eye. In the same OCI (5K mi) it rose from 2.1 to 4.0.

I wonder what could be the cause of this? Were the driving conditions different across the separate OCIs?
Exactly the same driving as always. The 3/25/21 sample was 0W-20 RGT and the 2/11/2022 sample was 0W-20 Edge EP.

Then perhaps the higher TBN was simply a function & attributes of an oil that was designed for longer OCIs?

Exactly the same driving as always. The 3/25/21 sample was 0W-20 RGT and the 2/11/2022 sample was 0W-20 Edge EP.

Then perhaps the higher TBN was simply a function & attributes of an oil that was designed for longer OCIs?
My guess is all the TBNs were different to start and with different add packs the rate at which buffering capacity gets used up to neutralize acid is also different.

Again what specs do the oil have that have been used? Why run a 20,000 mile oil for 5,000 miles?

Last edited:
Again what specs do the oil have that have been used? Why run a 20,000 mile oil for 5,000 miles?
I agree. You'd probably get great numbers running Walmarts ST 5K dino (syn blend) in that great Toyota engine. Their 10K full synthetic is probably the best value of the 3. (syn-blend, full syn. and 20K full syn.)

Good UOA, but then again, it's a 20k mile oil ran for 5k miles, in an engine that's fairly easy on oil. So what did we learn here?

EXTEND the OCI. 10k miles is a no brainer, then extend a little bit at a time after that.

I agree. You'd probably get great numbers running Walmarts ST 5K dino (syn blend) in that great Toyota engine. Their 10K full synthetic is probably the best value of the 3. (syn-blend, full syn. and 20K full syn.)
Because there's a negligible difference in price compared to non-extended drain interval oils so why not?

I run 10k OCIs in my tundra, it does great. Currently have 12k? On the HPL I put in. Not sure when I'm gonna change it.

Edit: just noticed your username, I knew it looked familiar!

Back