SSD Upgrade, Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If apple had made the Macbook Pro like my older 2009 model that died I would have bought another one but they wanted a premium price for what I considered inferior hardware and for something I couldn't upgrade the ram in. (Soldered to the board)

I was fully prepared to buy a new one at their ridiculous pricing over a PC and upgrade the SSD in it to a 1TB Samsung EVO and then dual boot OSX / Windows 10 like I did with my 2009 one.

Instead I bought an Acer Nitro (i-7 7700HQ) with a SSD in it and it's just great. I do miss the all aluminum construction of my Macbook Pro and the stunning display it had. Oh well.

Last edited:
Good job; SSD's rock. The early ones were expensive and many failed.
Now they are the only way to go.

You want fast boot?
Get a Chromebook.

Originally Posted by camrydriver111
3D is just a marketing term for TLC memory.

No, it's not.

MLC and TLC have been available in both 3D and planar.

MLC (2-bytes) and TLC (3-bytes) refer to the number of bytes per cell. 3D (layered) and planar (non-layered) refer to how the cells are arranged. They are two different definitions.

Crucial is currently making drives with Micron 3D MLC NAND.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11766/the-crucial-bx300-480gb-ssd-review-back-to-mlc

The Crucial BX300 will be produced in capacities from 120GB to 480GB using Micron's 256Gb 32L 3D MLC.

I face the same problem with an older Toshiba. How do you know which SSD will fit in the hardrive's space? Is it difficult to remove the old and install the new? I've upgraded RAM before but that's so simple it's almost silly. The HD/SSN swap makes me a bit anxious.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
I face the same problem with an older Toshiba. How do you know which SSD will fit in the hardrive's space? Is it difficult to remove the old and install the new? I've upgraded RAM before but that's so simple it's almost silly. The HD/SSN swap makes me a bit anxious.

All SSD's come in a 2.5" form factor which is what your laptop uses. Find the instructions on how to access the HDD and transfer the mounting hardware from the HDD to the SSD. For transferring data you will need a SATA to USB cable and any disk transfer software.

If you right click on your HD in windows explorer, go to properties, go to hardware, it will give you the model number of your HD. You can google it and find out the form factor.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin

All SSD's come in a 2.5" form factor which is what your laptop uses. Find the instructions on how to access the HDD and transfer the mounting hardware from the HDD to the SSD. For transferring data you will need a SATA to USB cable and any disk transfer software.

Actually, not true. I've replaced one that looked like this. Some are even smaller.

[Linked Image]

I'm sure it's 2.5"
Look on YouTube if there's a video replacing a hard drive or something else in a laptop like yours. Mine was different than Lenovo's that I do at work. I unscrewed it from the bottom and the keyboard came off. Had to disconnect some crappy cables and had to be careful.

But they're all different.

I wouldn't say it's difficult though.

Folks,
If the HDD is kaput can you load Windows 10 onto the SSD prior to installing it into a laptop? I have been googling but not with the success I had hoped for.

Folks,
If the HDD is kaput can you load Windows 10 onto the SSD prior to installing it into a laptop? I have been googling but not with the success I had hoped for.

I'm not sure.

But the link I posted earlier in this thread is the simplest thing you can imagine.

You click that link, choose the option inside, insert a flash drive, and it does all the work.

Once the new hard drive is in the laptop you choose the function key that lets you boot to the flash drive, or it might just automatically boot to it. And it installs practically by itself and it's done.

If your current hard drive is still functional somewhat, you can buy a SATA to USB adapter for $10 and then drag your files to the new hard drive once setup.

Folks,

It is possible, but lots of things can go wrong, drivers, licence key, activation, encryption etc. I'd personally just install from a USB as mentioned above.

We use powerful workstations at work for CAD and Revit. A couple years ago at work they upgraded all the older workstations still running old HDs to SSDs. It improved the performance so much some of the workstations that are typically upgraded at the 5yr mark and still going strong.

Just upgraded my wife 5 year old Dell i3 laptop. Was running so slow with disk at 100% all the time. Could not figure out why. Replaced her 500G HDD with a 240G SSD. The laptop bootup went from >2 minutes to <25sec with SSD. Browsers open so fast. It's like a new laptop and was so easy to do on the Dell. Only hiccup was i had to fix the boot order. My newer HP is more involved but will do it later.

Originally Posted by mez
Just upgraded my wife 5 year old Dell i3 laptop. Was running so slow with disk at 100% all the time. Could not figure out why. Replaced her 500G HDD with a 240G SSD. The laptop bootup went from >2 minutes to div>

Sure beats spending $500+ on a new laptop!

And it was inexpensive. $40 for the SSD and $10 for the USB to SATA adapter. Cannot beat it for $50 bucks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back