Squeaking noise in the front, what could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
About a month ago I aquired a squeak in the front driver's side. The best way to describe it would be as a worn out bed spring type sound. It's loud enough to be heard easily over the AC and I can hear it at low speeds like driving around a parking lot, as well as highway speeds on less than perfect roads. Basically anytime the weight shifts, I have to listen to this annoying squeak.

The car is a 97 Grand Am with 93,000 miles.

I asked a guy who works at a tire shop and he told me to take a high pressure washer to it and spray everything I could up under the wheel well. I tried that and the noise is much, much less. But it seems to be coming back slowly.

Any ideas what would cause this? Is it a serious problem that I need to get fixed right away?

I kind of doubt a squeak is all that serious, so long as it is not a metal on metal squeek. Maybe the anti sway bar bushings need a little grease.

I'd check all the bushings and I'm sure it's front wheel drive, check the coil over shock bushings as well. One test, push the front end up and down and see if you can duplicate that noise.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
I'd check all the bushings and I'm sure it's front wheel drive, check the coil over shock bushings as well. One test, push the front end up and down and see if you can duplicate that noise.

Yes, pushing down above the wheel does duplicate the noise. It sounds like worn out bed springs. And yes, it is front wheel drive.

And benjamming, yes they are all still factory parts.

I'd lift the front end and check the lower balljoints. Any freeplay means they are worn out and getting dangerous. Greasing them if possible will make the noise go away for a couple days.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back