Squeaking clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2000 Civic with ~186,000 miles just developed a squeaky clutch. It's the original clutch and aside from replacing some shifter linkage bushings about a year ago it's never had any work done.

I got underneath and had the wife push the pedal, the squeak occurs both on the push and release of the pedal, and is coming from inside the transmission. The squeak occurs about halfway through the pedal travel. The car still shifts fine.

Seems like the bearing is a good bet? ugh. We are just getting ready to sell this car and had a stupid emissions thing fixed last week to the tune of $500! What luck
smirk2.gif

jeff

I'm experiencing a similar noise, only it is intermittent. When I press the clutch down I hear the TOB make noise. As the clutch engages it stops. It doesn't happen all the time, the clutch operates fine. I am leaving it alone for now, it has been occurring on and off for over a year. My bet is it will continue to be this way for a very long time if I leave well enough alone.

My bet is that it's the bearing. Not that the bearing is bad, it's just the lube on the input shaft is likely expired. I've had this exact (as is is described) problem on 2 Hondas (2003 Civic and 200 1.6 EL - Acura Civic). The clutch worked fine, it just sounded like an old barn door with the in/out of the peddle. Replaced both clutches because I could not stand the noise. All the components when they were out were in decent shape(suggesting no failure - clutch could have gone on relaibly for some time), but could have used the switch anyway (175,000 Km on the Civic and 200,000 on the Acura). Now that everything has been taken apart and greased up it is lovely and quiet.

Good luck

I bet it's the pressure plate. The bearing will make kind of a whining noise when the clutch is disengaged (pedal in) and stay there.

My Corolla has a squeaky clutch, especially if it's humid out. The noise is totally different then the sound the TOB makes.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Our 2000 Civic with ~186,000 miles just developed a squeaky clutch. It's the original clutch and aside from replacing some shifter linkage bushings about a year ago it's never had any work done.

I got underneath and had the wife push the pedal, the squeak occurs both on the push and release of the pedal, and is coming from inside the transmission. The squeak occurs about halfway through the pedal travel. The car still shifts fine.

Seems like the bearing is a good bet? ugh. We are just getting ready to sell this car and had a stupid emissions thing fixed last week to the tune of $500! What luck
smirk2.gif

jeff

Not the bearing. The release bearing fork pivot is just dry from many miles. It ain't hurting anything. Considering the mileage AND that it's the original clutch assembly I would say it's done quite well. Yeah,it's a real clunker to have to have maintenance with only 186,000 on it.

The throwout bearing is not turning when the car is of, so it's probably not that part.
But it could be where the bearing rides on the snout - it could be dry .
Most likely it is the pivot fork and ball. You can sometimes remove the rubber boot and get in there to lube it, after you loosen the cable or press the piston back in the slave cylinder.

Dropped the car off at a shop when I went on travel for work - they said some sort of cover was loose and something required lube, took care of it for just $45 and it sounds good as new!

jeff

I'm not actually sure what they were referring to about the cover. I was on a ship and it was windy so I didn't press for details while speaking with them, and my wife went and picked the car up so I haven't talked to them since. Whatever they did it's dead silent now
cheers3.gif

jeff

They lubed the area where the shift mechanism enters the transmission. Had it happen on both my manuals.Mokanic has it dead on. The "cover" may just be the rubber boot which helps "seal" that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back