SQL Basics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently implemented an ERP system at work that uses SQL. I've learned some very basic stuff for modifying queries but would like to become a little more proficient. I'm using Microsoft Report Builder, PowerBI, and SSMS for making/modifying reports.

Anyone have some resources for learning how to write SQL queries?

W3 schools is a huge help. I found myself in a similar role a few years back. Just jumping in and working with already existing examples was the biggest help. It's easier to learn on real data than stuff you make up yourself.

But it's definitely helpful to get yourself some made up data and start learning to query / update / create on your own.

CJ Date is considered the father of relational databases.
An Introduction to Database Systems, 8th ed.
Would help you with the theory. Not sure if it would help you with implementation though.

Thank you for the recommendations.
Right now I mostly modify existing queries to make the report do what I want.
I want to dig into powerbi, it can do some really neat stuff.

the youtube channels: Curbal, Guy in a Cube, MyOnlineTrainingHub, ExcelIsFun
If the queries you run are big/lots of data, look into sql optimization/query optimization.

Your ERP should have come with a running reports utility. if not, probably MS SSRS or SAP Crystal Reports. Look at the youtube tutorials.

Hopefully, they deployed with adequate hardware. Also thinking for 5 years growth of data. I had to deal with really old hardware, badly designed ERP and crazy connection drivers.
And to top it off, people that think Excel is the ultimate utility (for pulling lots of data)

Good luck.

You need to know which SQL database is used by the product. SQL is used to query a lot of different systems and they're not all exactly the same. For example, T-SQL used by MS SQL is different than the SQL used on MySQL. Oracle is also different. Basic queries are similar, but when you dig deeper, you'll discover things that are not working everywhere.

The ERP is loaded with reports but we like to customize them and don't always want to wait/pay for it especially if it is a couple lines of code.

It uses MS SQL and it uses MS Report Builder for reports directly out of the ERP. We are also using MS PowerBI for more graphical/interactive external reports.

We outgrew QuickBooks and Excel for managing our manufacturing. Excel is a great tool for manipulating data but a mess for data storage.

Last edited:
I have moved away from using SQL based systems to document based for cloud applications.

That being said w3schools got me really far however working with real SQL DB2 admins was beyond valuable to attempt something yourself then pass through them to learn how to optimize the query and approach. Reporting is more adhoc though I think is different then what I do typicallly and ask admins to create views from attempts (prepared virtual table of joined data aggregated with simply key).

Most of my work has been with DB2 over last 20+ years and occasionally MySQL and Oracle. SQL though is pretty generic it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back