Spraying my engine off ?

I need to wash the engine dept off on my lawn tractor, and like to ask what you all use to clean the engine dept ?......
And do I need to cover up the top of the engine, it is a 22hp Kohler engine....

By chance I got into Purple Power and I've used it for things (lawn mower engines) as you describe.

Recently I bought some Fabuloso, a household cleaner. It's a thinner shade of purple than Purple Power.

I found it had an extremely powerful odor and when the recall came down (due to contaminated smaller sized bottles) I took advantage of Costco taking it all back. The large Costco size wasn't effected by the contamination problem but I got rid of the stinky stuff.

However, I had filled my small squirt bottle with it and used that on a dirty lawnmower engine too and it worked well.

I like using a pinpoint spray bottle for these cleaners. I waste little and the rinse water reveals a clean machine.

Most of the problem is going to be under the top cover accumulation of grass, leaves, mouse nests, etc that can't be reached by spraying from the outside. Air cooled mower engines really need periodically removing the cover(s) to clean the air paths inside.

@Oatmeal FWIW, I have used Dawn dish soap mixed with water, Simple Green and Brake clean all with success. I would use nothing but garden hose water for spraying off (no power washer) and don't run the engine prior to spraying. If it gets hot the block or heads might crack.

I usually blow mine off with the air compressor and then start it up to generate heat to faciliate drying.

Just my $0.02

run your lawnmower for a bit so engine is warm before you spraying. that will help with getting some of that grime off without scrubbing.

Any thermal concerns and potential for cracking doing it this way - warm/hot components and cold water?

Probably not; just curious

I use pressure washers on engines all the time. Don't let the spray linger on electronics and don't get it in the air filter. Fwiw I've never had a problem. I also don't get all the dirt off, just most of it.

Any thermal concerns and potential for cracking doing it this way - warm/hot components and cold water?

Probably not; just curious
just get it warm enough to put your hand on it and hold on to the block comfortably. do not spray it after you just mowed your whole yard. Heat will help with better penetration of oils and grime.
I also use handheld blower to clean easy stuff off, before i spray it.

Last edited:
Most of the problem is going to be under the top cover accumulation of grass, leaves, mouse nests, etc that can't be reached by spraying from the outside. Air cooled mower engines really need periodically removing the cover(s) to clean the air paths inside.
I use handheld blower on all my mowers right after the mow to blow everything around the engine and off the mowing deck, usually I don't have a problem with grass accumulating. Also helps with keeping dust off of cooling fins of the engine.

Back