Spray Wax - What is the Point?

Been watching many video reviews of various spray products. Am especially interested in Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax since I use Ultimate Liquid Wax. Seems to me that all of these products are difficult to apply and do not last very long. Meguiars hybrid ceramic looks easy but you wash most of the product away. Laying down the base coat looks like hard work and no one agrees on how to apply it. Since the benefits last only a few weeks, why bother? It is so easy to apply/remove Ultimate Liquid Wax, why bother with the spray stuff?

If you think Ultimate Liquid Wax is easy to apply, I'm not sure why your takeaway in regards to spray waxes is that they're difficult.

Many can be applied wet and wiped off during drying.

Others you spray on a towel and wipe in until they disappear.

Others get sprayed on the panel, wiped to an even coat, and then buffed to a shine with a second towel.

All are faster, imho, than applying a liquid or paste wax.

Wouldn't consider using anything other than the spray for it ease and durability. Have used several brands, and the car stays shiny and beads like crazy after running it thru car washes. Takes maybe 15 min to do the outside; little more when I do the sills and doors underneath. Gets done about 4 times a year.

If you think Ultimate Liquid Wax is easy to apply, I'm not sure why your takeaway in regards to spray waxes is that they're difficult.

Many can be applied wet and wiped off during drying.

Others you spray on a towel and wipe in until they disappear.

Others get sprayed on the panel, wiped to an even coat, and then buffed to a shine with a second towel.

All are faster, imho, than applying a liquid or paste wax.

The videos I watched showed the products smearing and leaving streaks requiring a lot of elbow grease to buff out, especially the hybrid ceramic. I may give Ultimate Quik Wax a try, but my thinking is simple. If I have to apply a spray wax 4-6 times per year vs Ultimate Liquid Wax 2-3 times per year, I just do not see the benefit. Sounds like more work.

The videos I watched showed the products smearing and leaving streaks requiring a lot of elbow grease to buff out, especially the hybrid ceramic. I may give Ultimate Quik Wax a try, but my thinking is simple. If I have to apply a spray wax 4-6 times per year vs Ultimate Liquid Wax 2-3 times per year, I just do not see the benefit. Sounds like more work.
I have used HCW extensively. If it streaks, too much product was used. All it takes to clear up any streaking is a quick wipe with a damp microfiber. The carrier liquid causing the streaking is water-soluble.

You have to dry the car before applying ULW. If you spray your wet car with UQW and then dry it, you have combined two steps and saved time - period.

Today’s waxes are not the same as we once knew. They are mostly polymers and have a bit of of carnauba wax in them.

As mentioned above, the spray as you dry method is a real quick way to get a coat on. I would try one of Meguiars ceramic spray products. Those will give you a longer life.

Any smears and streaks is a sign you applied too much. Less is better.

Been watching many video reviews of various spray products. Am especially interested in Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax since I use Ultimate Liquid Wax. Seems to me that all of these products are difficult to apply and do not last very long. Meguiars hybrid ceramic looks easy but you wash most of the product away. Laying down the base coat looks like hard work and no one agrees on how to apply it. Since the benefits last only a few weeks, why bother? It is so easy to apply/remove Ultimate Liquid Wax, why bother with the spray stuff?
[/QUOT
To me, if doesn't require some elbow grease to apply and remove, I do not believe it is a very durable product. I only use paste wax or sealant.

Back in the day, Optimum Car Wax (OCW) was tested to be as durable as the best paste carnaubas.

Nowadays I use DG Aquawax since it applies like a QD.

I can wax my F150 Super Crew 4x4 in 5 minutes flat with Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray wax. Not only does it provide the best shine I've ever seen, but it lasts every bit as long as any other product I've used. What's not to love?

The Griots 3 in 1 looks great but just did both my cars with ULW. Griots website indicates old wax/sealant should be removed which I am not going to do. Maybe I will try it in the Spring.

Edit: Just talked with Griot. They said applying 3 in 1 over fresh ULX will definitely cause streaking. Much better to wait until Spring and strip remaining ULX before applying 3 in 1.

Last edited:
I used to use Ultimate Quik wax. It sprayed on easy and was quick to apply. But it only last 2-3 months. I recently switched to Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray coating. Lasts a lot longer. Trickier to apply, have to go light on it otherwise difficult to remove. If you go light, it's quick and easy to apply and it lasted over 6 months before I gave it a second coat. Supposed to be good for a year.

I use TW Wax & Dry. For an entry-level product, it works surprisingly well. Goes on easy as I'm drying the car and leaves behind no residue. My cars are parked outside and they bead water for months. I don't even bother with regular wax anymore.

Auto paint has changed over the years along with maintenance products. There's no compelling reason to hang onto old ways unless you are finding that the more convenient products aren't adequate. Ever since I started working at a place that has a parking garage (I use my garage at home, too.) I've found that I have been able to cut my waxing frequency by 75%. I had goo water beading performance out of the Meguiar's HCW spray for over a year and just did an application a couple of weeks ago. I applied with a damp rag and buffed with a microfiber towel. It used a lot less product than the spray and hose off method.

I suggest you find more videos ;). I've had no issue applying Lucas Slick Mist, Turtlewax ICE Seal & Shine, Turtlewax Wax and Dry or Turtlewax ICE Synthetic Wax. I've had such good results that i've forgone the Ceramic Coat products in favor of the spray waxes.

Hawaiian Shine by Jax Wax is my go to and great for wet/dry use. It has a greater carnauba content than most new products but will last at least a month. I typically wash at less than 30 days.

With speed and ease, you compromise longevity. I solved the issue by applying one layer of a good quality synthetic polymer "wax", and then maintain it with a spray sealer (Beadmaker). I use it as a drying aid, and my cars never stop beading water...even the one that lives outside.

I suggest you find more videos ;). I've had no issue applying Lucas Slick Mist, Turtlewax ICE Seal & Shine, Turtlewax Wax and Dry or Turtlewax ICE Synthetic Wax. I've had such good results that i've forgone the Ceramic Coat products in favor of the spray waxes.
I thought the reviews said that the TW Hybrid ceramic wax was pretty good and to just use that instead of a wax. I like it pretty well myself, still looks like I just waxed it even though I did it a few months ago. The spray wax would slowly fade and then be no good after about 2-3 months.

Wouldn't consider using anything other than the spray for it ease and durability. Have used several brands, and the car stays shiny and beads like crazy after running it thru car washes. Takes maybe 15 min to do the outside; little more when I do the sills and doors underneath. Gets done about 4 times a year.
Totally agree, I'm done with manually waxing cars. Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic and Seal & Shine work great and I can do a vehicle in less than 20 minutes.

Back