Which ceramic spray wax has the best results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting lazy in my old age and have been using Meguiars Quik Wax spray. I really like the ease of use and nice resulting shine for minimal effort (spray on/wipe off). The only downside is that the shine only lasts for a week or two. I've read that the new ceramic spray waxes tend to last a little longer and are just as easy to apply. I was wondering which of the following would be the better performer (best shine and longest lasting), Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions, Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray or Meguiars Ceramic Spray. I choose these as they are readily available at Walmart or the national auto parts chains and aren't too expensive (I'm cheap as well). Ease of application and a decent shine remain my primary criteria.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i have tried and few and so far the turtle wax seal and shine is lasting the longest . $10 at WM

Not ceramic like the OP asked for.

I love all the new TWax products. This is going the Passat in the next week or so...

Screenshot_20191219-071226_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The wax should not make a huge difference in the cars shine. The ones that do are because of the oils(scratch fillers) in the wax that evaporate in a short period of time. Wax and coatings are mainly used for paint protection (water beading) and ease of removal of dirt on the next car wash. The waxy finish is like spraying PAM in your frying pan. Things dont stick as well so you dont scratch the paint scrubbing them off.

I've been waxing cars for decades and there are no wax, polymer sealant, ect. whose shine (that deep oily gloss shine) will last for more than a few weeks on a car parked outside. I've tried liquids, pastes, poweders, sprays from all the prefessional names in the industry. (Zano, Klasse, meguiars, adams, Griots, Nufinish :p, etc) You already have the best bet. Pick an easy to apply spray wax that you will actually apply can be applied after a car wash. There are some good wash -n- waxes nowadays that also keep extend the wax coatings life.

You might try Meguiars Ultimate spray wax. I've been using it too on my dark blue truck and it does a good job or shining when done and the beading last a couple of months. Plenty of time to bridge between car washes. Just spray on and wipe off with a microfiber cloth.

you can use megiuars ultimate wash n wax if you get lazy between waxings as a comp. I like and still use megulars gold class. No wax in it but it does not strip the wax either and provides good lubricity (this is an oil site
smile.gif
to the mit so it slides over the dirt and not grinds into it. This with an existing wax coating make it take very light pressure to release the dirt from the paint. This is the most important thing. Most if the cars paint damage is due to improper washing where the dirt is scrubbed into the paint. You want as light of a touch as possible to clean the paint without scratching it.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
The wax should not make a huge difference in the cars shine. The ones that do are because of the oils(scratch fillers) in the wax that evaporate in a short period of time. Wax and coatings are mainly used for paint protection (water beading) and ease of removal of dirt on the next car wash. The waxy finish is like spraying PAM in your frying pan. Things dont stick as well so you dont scratch the paint scrubbing them off.

+1

I just tried the Meguiars hybrid ceramic spray on/wash off wax. I'm giving it thumbs up! It was easy to apply, just spray it on before rinsing off the car. Rinse and dry with microfiber.

I found that while it was still wet, it had a milky look to it. On spots that had some remaining water, it dried, the milky water turned to a slight white streak on my black paint. Buffing with microfiber immediately removed any remaining wax like it was not even there. No effort at all.

The result has been impressive. Very shiny and after one month now, still looks great.

It's very different than anything I've used, and it seems to work just fine. Amazingly, my just starting to fade hood looks super shiny again. Something that other waxes don't seem to accomplish.

I started to compound the hood and the small spot I did looks even better now that the ceramic wax is on it.

Last edited:
I tried Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax as well as Mothers CMX, and the shine and water beading lasted no longer than the Griot's Spray Wax I love to use. And neither were as pleasant to apply or smell as nice as Griot's. All these Ceramic products are cool but I'm suspicious if they're actually THAT much better.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not hung up on it being "ceramic" if there's another product that does an equal or better job and is just as easy to use. There's been so much hype about these newer ceramic sprays that I thought I'd just give them a try. A little longer lasting shine would be a real plus over what I'm using now, but as I said I'm happy with the result the Meguiars is giving me for the minimal effort. Sounds like any of them is worth a try. Thanks.

Originally Posted by hardheaded
I'm wondering what kind of prep you must do before applying the ceramic wax ?

I used a clay bar, but the instructions do not call for that. Last waxed my 300 back in July with the Turtle Wax S&S, have only taken it through an automated car wash once back in late September. It is still staying far cleaner than what the van is. Some stuck on dirt around the wheels and on the rockers, but for the most part clean. Rain alone is still washing most of the dirt off.

Most recent picture I have of it from Friday night.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The reason i'm asking is because my truck has many layers of Meguires 2.0 tech wax on it. Just wondering if i can go right over it with the Ceramic wax ?

I'm hoping someone does a comparison side by side testing of ceramic waxes. Then we need to compare the: Ceramic waxes with the present Polymers polishes like NewFinish or Mothers. CU used to do a side by side years ago. Ed

The reason i'm asking is because my truck has many layers of Meguires 2.0 tech wax on it. Just wondering if i can go right over it with the Ceramic wax ?

Waste of product. Paint needs to be washed, chemically/mechanically decontaminated, wiped with IPA solution, compounded/polished, wiped with IPA again and only then product to be applied. Any other way of applying it will yield similar poor results as far as longevity goes. Also layering waxes is a proven waste of product

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I used a clay bar, but the instructions do not call for that. Last waxed my 300 back in July with the Turtle Wax S&S, have only taken it through an automated car wash once back in late September. It is still staying far cleaner than what the van is. Some stuck on dirt around the wheels and on the rockers, but for the most part clean. Rain alone is still washing most of the dirt off.

[Linked Image]

Way overdo for a car wash.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by Skippy722

[Linked Image]

Way overdo for a car wash.
lol.gif

It'll rain eventually
wink.gif
But for real, I do wash it to keep the salt off.

I like the Optimum Spray wax pretty well. It has a narrow temperature band for application 50-80 degrees.

Durable to a fault for me. Buildup through repeat application every few washes was a problem. Wait until you see a drop off in beading before reapplying, I guess.

If you aren't really parsimonious in application it can streak. Two and a half full tugs on the trigger is enough for my pickup truck hood.

Yeah, you should get the crud off there before experimenting. I wouldn't put abrasives on there to do it, though. I would let it wear off naturally or get that DuPont product they use to strip wax from cars that are being repainted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back