Spray lube for rubber bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping the rubber squeak in the rear of my 2000 VW GTI is from the trailing arm bushings rubbing on their mounts. I know silicone spray will help me identify if this is in fact the cause, but silicone spray won't hang around a long time.

Any better suggestions for a spray lube that's safe for rubber and sticks around? I read a graphite spray option that states it adheres to rubber, but again, for how long?

Sil-Glyde

http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/automotive/168

silglyde-lubricating-compound.jpg

I replaced the bushings a couple of years ago. I'm hoping they haven't migrated.

The third option looks like a grease which would have been great during the install, but tricky now. I'm hoping a spray will do as you say, get where I need it.

Fluid Film film looks like a good starting point. Amazon has it. Know of any b&m stores that carry it?

I use RuGlide on rubber bushings. It's the stuff that tire shops use when mounting tires. It comes in gallon jugs that I buy at the local NAPA store. I use it in a spray bottle that I found at Wal Mart. I've been using it on rubber bushings in my cars for years with good results.

Originally Posted By: sipman
I'm hoping the rubber squeak in the rear of my 2000 VW GTI is from the trailing arm bushings rubbing on their mounts. I know silicone spray will help me identify if this is in fact the cause, but silicone spray won't hang around a long time.

Any better suggestions for a spray lube that's safe for rubber and sticks around? I read a graphite spray option that states it adheres to rubber, but again, for how long?

it's common for the hatch area to squeak. Get a rear stress bar.

if you think it's the trailing arm bushing, then you should replace it.

I second sil-glyde. I would get the aerosol version though. Your local napa will have it. Fluid film or Dupon silicone lube, which is available at lowes will work great also.

Fluid Film is supposed to be very safe with most rubbers plus it creeps into threads/nooks/etc to help stop squeaks. Most autozone stores stock it, but I found it cheaper at a local privately run Auto Value store.

Also check Amazon for AT-205 reseal in the 2oz aerosol can. Specifically designed to soften and swell rubber bushings. I've already tried it and it does work as advertised.

I was greasing the zerks on my 2003 Silverado and noticed the control arm bushings and was wondering if they would last longer if I treated the rubber with something. Think its worth a shot? What about CV joint boots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back