Sporadic no crank

Hello,
2014 Mitsubishi Lancer all the sudden didn't crank on Friday after work. All the electronics came on, blower came on, but no crank. I attempted cranking it sporadically for about a half hour and it finally started up. Next day the same thing occurred but it cranked after just a couple tries. Today it started immediately. My concern is if I bring it into the mechanic and it is working perfect. Any ideas what is going on here and will the mechanics be able to diagnose it if it is working fine that day? It only has 58,000 miles, if that matters.

So do what Kira just said and especially clean the grounds. If still doing it, then I would do this:

A) next time it then won’t start, lay a screwdriver across the starter terminals, one with a solid insulating handle (craftsman, e.g.). If it doesn’t start, suspect the starter solenoid. If it does start:

B) Suspect the ignition wiring. A quick google on this shows this issue is common with that car and a faulty neutral safety wire.

battery/electrical
starter (solenoid, mechanical interference)
fuel pump
bad sensor (crank, cam)

Last edited:
Did it mention where to look? Do Outlanders have this?
Apparently it happens with auto and manual models. here was a clear descrip for the manual (not sure which OPs is).

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting/740091-neutral-safety-switch.html

There were several different causes I found from a quick google. The OP can test the starter, then if it’s the wiring google “lancer no start no crank” etc and find a lot of resolved cases and check them out.

Back