Spline Lug Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased new rims and tires this past spring on my 3/4 ton Chev. I chose a set of 17 x 8 inch rims with 8 bolt holes. To install them I had to use spline lug nuts to fit through the narrower hole through the rims. The tire dealer installed tires and rims on the truck. I checked the torque later using my torque wrench set to 140 ft lbs. Installing the splined lug nuts requires an installation tool. The socket goes over top the installation tool.

Today I pulled them off and put on my winter tires which are mounted on the original Chev rims and use conventional lug nuts. The rims I took off had a plastic cap secured with two bolts with allen heads. I made sure to use antisieze on them.

I was able to break the torque on the splined nuts in a star pattern using my 400 ft pound corded impact wrench. After breaking the torque I spun them off with the same impact wrench. I put the winter rims on and used my lower powered 18V battery impact wrench to torque them to about 70 ft lbs in a star pattern then finished them by hand using my torque wrench set to 140 ft lbs.

Anyway, here are some shots for anyone here who has not worked with splined lug nuts. Enjoy.

5A3DB11C-02AF-47AB-A29A-7399F6673651.jpeg

B6F74037-7537-4653-BCF2-B35EB1EEBD4D.jpeg

446128D4-564C-4B4A-A112-28568E82B22B.jpeg

4C63446A-B1C4-466C-8A88-51ACE09C12FB.jpeg

BD0C9B34-0C5D-4F06-AF4E-E0C0C8A9497F.jpeg

E133C222-65B0-45AE-AFCD-BA2F4A5EE062.jpeg

F25ACBF3-BAC8-40CF-8DE1-869EA9304236.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't think the socket tool is impact safe. With that said, I've used my impact several times with no issues. But only at 80 ft/lbs. If I ever remember, I would break the lugs free with a breaker bar first with the vehicle on the ground. But I always forget and lift the vehicle, put it in jack stands, then lose my ambition to drop it and start from scratch

I have a set of aftermarket wheels(RAGE) that also uses spline lug nuts(chrome) and a special socket(black) that only fits them.

They're "GORILLA" brand. Mine look almost identical to yours.

Did you get a stock #/part # in case you lose one so you can reorder?

Originally Posted by Silverado12
If they're 6 splines there's a common tool that removes them. The nuts like that pretty much use the same tool, which you can get on eBay.

Yes, saw it on Amazon. It's 7 splines actually. I might get one. Here's a shot of the top of the splined nut. Thanks.

11E9B327-6870-470A-AE37-C759C75F0EC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pda1122
Don't think the socket tool is impact safe. With that said, I've used my impact several times with no issues. But only at 80 ft/lbs. If I ever remember, I would break the lugs free with a breaker bar first with the vehicle on the ground. But I always forget and lift the vehicle, put it in jack stands, then lose my ambition to drop it and start from scratch

Yeah, you're probably right. The end of the removal tool does not have "socket end" indicating you're not supposed to plug in your impact wrench. However, I tried it with a 1/2" breaker bar and it was flexing so much I decided to try the impact wrench. I'll probably buy a 3/4" breaker bar. It's a good tool to have.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Not happy with splined bolts and nuts. They seem to have showed themselves a few times in my life. One bolt was a shallow tapered spline bolt, cone like, used to hold on a spare tire carrier, 4 bolts.
Any wrenches includes vice grips I tried just slipped off. I needed to clean up and refinish the rear door, and this just slowed me down.
I cut slots in the heads using a grinder, and turned them out with an adjustable wrench. Used regular bolts to reattach.

Stuff like this is done by car makers to make your life hard and have to go to a dealer.

20191104_153515 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I would never use an impact on splined lug nuts. The socket is just way too thin, and then when you break it you are done, unless you have a spare. I only loosen/tighten splined lug nuts, and especially locking lug nuts by hand. I do use the impact only to buzz them off, and back on until light contact.

Originally Posted by Traction
I would never use an impact on splined lug nuts. The socket is just way too thin, and then when you break it you are done, unless you have a spare. I only loosen/tighten splined lug nuts, and especially locking lug nuts by hand. I do use the impact only to buzz them off, and back on until light contact.

Agree 100% I do use my m12 stubby to zip them off (after loosening with breaker bar) and put them on but low torque maybe 50ft-lb max then torque wrench.

I would also say that some types of splined lugnuts are more durable than others. The ones I'm using on the 2020 elantra winter wheels are much more durable than the 2017 jeep winter set tuner lugbolts.

Very cool looking tires and wheels!

The (cheap) aftermarket aluminum wheels I bought from DTD for my 2016 Forester came with Gorilla brand splined lug nuts. They worked well. I just hate to have to have the need for the extra socket to fit the splines. I also wound't use an impact on them, but I don't use my impact for wheel swaps at home anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back