Spin on transmission filter and ATF temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed a spin on filter base that takes a PH8A filter and all is good so far. My concern is that I don't want to restrict flow to the transmission cooler during heavy towing in the heat. I'm thinking of installing a manual three way valve to bypass the filter during hot and heavy towing conditions and filter the ATF only during normal driving.

Does anyone else have a similar setup and have you noticed a difference in fluid temps?

Well, I'll take a stab at this. One option you could use is to run a your filter set up on a parallel line with your transmission fluid return line. Just use a "Y" fitting on the fluid return line-branch off one line to the remote filter and then use another "Y' connector to hook up the out line from the remote filter back into the main transmission line. That way your fluid would always have a direct flow to the transmission and there should be enought line pressure to force fluid through the remote filter. As a side note, I run remote tranmsmission filters on my presonal cars and Landscape/ Plow trucks. I just run a remote filter off the fluid return line (from the remote coolers) and have never had any problems with the transmissions performance or longevity. I'm sure others with more technicial knowledge on transmission fluid flow restriction issues which may occure with remote filters will chime in.

I have a spin-on remote mount with a mobil1 oil filter plumbed to the AT. I worry about it the least when towing, because that's when the fluid temps are the hottest.

In my truck, when the temps are cooler, a bypass thermostat opens to prevent from overcooling the trans, so really, the filter only sees heavy flow when the trans is hot anyway, and per the aftermarket gauge on the dash, it only approaches those temps on HOT summer days or when pulling something behind me.

Your transmission cooler is a larger restriction than an XG8 filter probably ever will be, even if you never changed it. I would cease worrying about it immediately.

If you have a stacked cooler arrangement (in-radiator, then flowing to external air/fluid cooler), then I would definitely throw that concern out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back