Speed Rating with replacement Tires

Yea, that's what I said. The rubber compound on high speed tires wear faster.
Yes, but it has nothing to do with the speed rating. You could make a tire with a L speed rating (75mph) that’s so soft and grippy it’ll wear out in 10,000 miles if you wanted too.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with the speed rating. You could make a tire with a L speed rating (75mph) that’s so soft and grippy it’ll wear out in 10,000 miles if you wanted too.
Well sure and you could make a bicycle tire with Z rating, but why would you. The high speed rated tires most often have the fastest wearing rubber, ergo, high speed rated tires wear out quicker. Bugatti tires are replaced every 2500 miles and they are supposed to go over 250 mph.

Tell it to old Bridgestone Blizzak tires that were Q rated. They would have worn very fast too, the warmer the faster.
The speed rating and wear are related but I do not think it is causative relationship.

Softer compounds, that provide higher traction wear faster. That I would agree. But not speed rating alone.

Krzys

Ok, what DOES it have to do with wearing quick. And don't say because they are driven more aggressively.
First, this is a complex subject because there are lots of exceptions.

Second, tires for Porsche's tend to be designed for grip - which means they don't wear well - AND they have a high speed rating.

Notice the order. It's not that tires with a higher speed rating don't wear as well. It's that those type of tires tend to go on performance cars - and the owners generally would rather have good grip, rather than long wear. (Please note: There is a third possibility: Wear, grip, and rolling resistance are a three way trade-off for tread compounds)

You can find plenty of tires with high speed ratings that wear well. A good example is a BITOG favorite, the Conti DWS. It has a 560 treadwear rating and comes in W and Y speed ratings.

I would not hesitate to use a V rated tire. If you were trying to go 168mph instead of 149mph, maybe then you would lose sleep over it.

Got the tires installed today. Only about 50 miles so far but everything is fine as far as performance.
Two possible points of interest:
1) The tires were made exactly a year ago.
2 For my size at the time of manufacture, they’re made in Brazil.

Were your old tires run at low pressure for a while? Or does your car have some pretty noticeable toe in and camber on the rear tires? Looks like the tread has kind of heat cycled out and has hardened enough to chip. Severe rear toe in and camber can heat up the inside edge of the tread on a wide low profile tire just driving straight down the road, and after many hundreds of road trips the rubber seems to chip.

They were not. If anything, I tended to keep them a little over inflated. All tires had even wear. Keep in mind that I do live in Phoenix, Arizona. Hot as hell here 7 months out of the year.

Porsche Turbos wearing tires quick definitely has nothing to do with speed rating. Absolutely nothing.

Ok, what DOES it have to do with wearing quick. And don't say because they are driven more aggressively.

It has to do with driving more aggressively and more power (to weight ratio). Next factor
is, the type of tire you'll find on these cars or even available in the corresponding sizes (e.g.
Michelin PSS, PS4S, Pirelli P Zero, Goodyear Eage F1 Asymmetric 3/5/6 etc.) do focus on grip,
not on wear.
These tires don't necessarily wear that quick. My Mini Cooper is sitting on PSS and they wear
quite well as this car is low on power and torque. My Porsche is sitting on PS4 (no PSS available
in 16") and they'll get old before they wear down because this car isn't driven much. My GTI's
PSS however wore down much more quickly by comparision. I don't care though. All tires are
'Y' rated btw., except my winter tires are 'W' and they roughly last twice as long as my summers.
However that's certainly not because of W vs Y. It's because CrossClimate+ wear better than PSS
and I use to drive more conservatively during winter.

Another wear factor for tires in "performance cars" can be the alignment specs. For example my 540 came from the factory with sports suspension and staggered tires. Rear tires would wear out on a 2-1 ratio to the fronts no matter how you drove it. I was getting an alignment one time at the BMW dealer, the gray haired tech put 200# of weight in the driver's floorboard before he set it up to mimic a more exact setting. Asked me if I wanted to keep the sport spec alignment or go with the non-sport and have my tires last longer... hell no. Someone else here more versed in alignment geometry can possibly explain further.

Well, it's normal for a RWD car wearing the rears more. It's never been different
on any RWD I've ever owned. The point is with your staggered setup you can't
rotate your wheels. Alignment specs for sports cars (not race cars) are in general
quite similar to any vanilla passenger car.
That marginally increased rear camber BMW specs for some M suspensions has
little effect on wear and toe-in is more or less the same anyway. Putting weight
on the driver's seat has more to do with maintaining a straight steering wheel.

Back