Speed Rating with replacement Tires

I’ll be replacing the tires on my 2020 Hyundai Elantra Limited soon. I’m considering replacing them with (V) rated as opposed to the original (W) rated. Could this have any adverse affects on vehicle operation? I’m reading conflicting information online. Specifically, these two web pages:
1) https://www.tirereview.com/speed-ratings/
2) speed-ratings-falken-warns-consumers-not-downgrade-safety-when-replacing-tires-0
The Owners Manuel just states to replace tires in the original size but mentions nothing about speed rating.
Also, while I understand the basic gist of a speed rating, I’m really confused why Hyundai chose a (W) rated tire for a vehicle like the Elantra with a 2.0L naturally aspirated engine with a 147HP. The car can’t hit (V) or maybe even (H) rated speeds. Nor will I ever be driving that fast.
Any help is appreciated!

welcome to BITOG :)

Most shops won't install a lower speed rating then OE, except for winter tires.

What tires are you considering? What is your tire size? :unsure:

I’m considering replacing them with (V) rated as opposed to the original (W) rated. The car can’t hit (V) or maybe even (H) rated speeds. Nor will I ever be driving that fast.
So why are you considering that if you won't be driving so fast? The higher speed rated tires wear out faster. Ask any late model Porsche turbo or GT3 owner how long their tires last. They are pretty worn after 10K.

So why are you considering that if you won't be driving so fast? The higher speed rated tires wear out faster. Ask any late model Porsche turbo or GT3 owner how long their tires last. They are pretty worn after 10K.
Simply because that’s the original speed rating of the OE tires.

I believe it has something to do with the ability of the tire to handle heat at those speeds. The flexing generates heat, so material choices have to be adjusted to either make less of it, or handle it better. CapriRacer did an excellent explanation on it a few years back.

welcome to BITOG :)

Most shops won't install a lower speed rating then OE, except for winter tires.

What tires are you considering? What is your tire size? :unsure:
Thanks for the welcome. Long-time lurker but haven’t posted in a few years.
I’ve also heard that some shops will only replace with the original everything. On a 2007 Hyundai Sonata I had, I ordered the tires online and when I got to the shop the mechanic was concerned that I was dropping speed ratings. They installed them anyway:)
My tire size is 225-45-17
I’m basically narrowed it down to two tires:
1) Nexen N5000 Platinum (w)
2) General AltMax RT43 (v)
The General is determined by how long a current Hyundai dealer has a Buy 3, get 1 for $1 deal going on because I don’t know when or how quickly I’ll get time to get there. Otherwise, I’ll probably buy The Nexen’s from SimpleTire and have them installed locally.

Huh? You said they originally came with W tires.
I have apparently misunderstood your post. Thought you were asking why I was considering dropping to (V) rated from (W) if I wasn’t driving so fast?

I’ll be replacing the tires on my 2020 Hyundai Elantra Limited soon. I’m considering replacing them with (V) rated as opposed to the original (W) rated. Could this have any adverse affects on vehicle operation? I’m reading conflicting information online. Specifically, these two web pages:
2) speed-ratings-falken-warns-consumers-not-downgrade-safety-when-replacing-tires-0
The Owners Manuel just states to replace tires in the original size but mentions nothing about speed rating.
Also, while I understand the basic gist of a speed rating, I’m really confused why Hyundai chose a (W) rated tire for a vehicle like the Elantra with a 2.0L naturally aspirated engine with a 147HP. The car can’t hit (V) or maybe even (H) rated speeds. Nor will I ever be driving that fast.
Any help is appreciated!
First, the links read like they were written by someone not technically competent in tires. I would disregard what it says.

It is puzzling why such a high speed rating. I wonder if there is something else going on. Maybe like Toyota where the distributor can change tires to suit local market preferences.

Here's a Firestone chart showing recommended sizes for the elantra. Only the 17 and 18 inch wheels require the W speed rating.
Trim Level Tire Size Speed Rating Inflation in PSI F/R
2020 Hyundai Elantra Sport 225/40R18 W 33 PSI/33 PSI SHOP THIS TIRE
2020 Hyundai Elantra SE 195/65R15 T 36 PSI/36 PSI SHOP THIS TIRE
2020 Hyundai Elantra SEL 205/55R16 H 33 PSI/33 PSI SHOP THIS TIRE
2020 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition 205/55R16 H 33 PSI/33 PSI SHOP THIS TIRE
2020 Hyundai Elantra Limited 225/45R17 W 33 PSI/33 PSI SHOP THIS TIRE
2020 Hyundai Elantra Eco 195/65R15 T 36 PSI/36 PSI SHOP THIS TIRE

Last edited:
I suppose that if I were in this situation I'd buy a tire that maintained the OEM load rating but would vary the speed rating if that was necessary to get a specific tire that I desired.

I won't buy a tire that carries a lower load rating than what was originally specified on the vehicle. Hyundai may have specified the "W" speed rating in order to achieve a specific load rating (94).

Thanks for the welcome. Long-time lurker but haven’t posted in a few years.
I’ve also heard that some shops will only replace with the original everything. On a 2007 Hyundai Sonata I had, I ordered the tires online and when I got to the shop the mechanic was concerned that I was dropping speed ratings. They installed them anyway:)
My tire size is 225-45-17
I’m basically narrowed it down to two tires:
1) Nexen N5000 Platinum (w)
2) General AltMax RT43 (v)
The General is determined by how long a current Hyundai dealer has a Buy 3, get 1 for $1 deal going on because I don’t know when or how quickly I’ll get time to get there. Otherwise, I’ll probably buy The Nexen’s from SimpleTire and have them installed locally.

The RT43 is very popular on here, as you may know from lurking :D

The G-Max AS-05 does carry the W rating you need.

Although the new 365AW is V, they might not give you as much of a problem with it due to having a 3-peak symbol that winter tires have. Since it is legally a winter tire, they may be willing to install the V-rated 365AW on your car.

The other BITOG favorite, the Cooper CS5 Ultra, is available with the W rating in your size.

Walmart will not install tires of a speed rating lower than OE, but will mount tires on rims carried in. So if you're willing to take the wheels off your car and bring them in, they'll install the V-rated tires that way :sneaky:

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is Y-rated!

What are your driving conditions? Is snow an important consideration? :unsure:

About 12 years ago I went to a tire store. I wanted the bfg all terrain tires that were popular. Guy at the counter tells me that my 2002 Wrangler that won't hit 90 mph and has never been over 75 requires some 150 mph rated street tire. I left.

Hey, is that the SRT 392 Wrangler? :D

I suppose that if I were in this situation I'd buy a tire that maintained the OEM load rating but would vary the speed rating if that was necessary to get a specific tire that I desired.

I won't buy a tire that carries a lower load rating than what was originally specified on the vehicle. Hyundai may have specified the "W" speed rating in order to achieve a specific load rating (94).

Speed rating and load index are separate things. Tires with a lower load index than OE are almost nonexistent, except in sizes only exptice sports cars use (LL/light load, for light weight sports cars with big wheels/tires and big brakes). They definitely don't exist on the OP's size.

For example, the OP's size is 225/45-17 91W
SL standard load seems to be 91 in this size
XL extra load seems to be 94 in this size

Tires of this size can be
91H
91V
91W
94H
94V
94W
etc

The RT43 is very popular on here, as you may know from lurking :D

The G-Max AS-05 does carry the W rating you need.

Although the new 365AW is V, they might not give you as much of a problem with it due to having a 3-peak symbol that winter tires have. Since it is legally a winter tire, they may be willing to install the V-rated 365AW on your car.

The other BITOG favorite, the Cooper CS5 Ultra, is available with the W rating in your size.

Walmart will not install tires of a speed rating lower than OE, but will mount tires on rims carried in. So if you're willing to take the wheels off your car and bring them in, they'll install the V-rated tires that way :sneaky:

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is Y-rated!

What are your driving conditions? Is snow an important consideration? :unsure:

Hey, is that the SRT 392 Wrangler? :D
Thanks for the info slacktide_bitog and all. I decided to go with the General AltiMax RT43 225-45-17 94V. I’m buying from a Hyundai dealer that has buy 3 get 1 for $1 plus General has a mail-in-rebate through the end of the month for $50. This will make them less than buying the Nexen from SimpleTire and having them installed locally. Already got a call from the dealer about my order and there are no problems using the lower speed rating.
I live in Phoenix currently (haha), but will likely be moving back to Pittsburgh, PA next year where I’m originally from, so I’m planning for that in this purchase.
I did consider the Vredestein Quatrac Pro from Tire Rack as well and the Hypertrac too, and the Nokian One. Ultimately, the price difference (about $200 or so) just wasn’t worth it over the General.
One more thing: I checked the tire depth on my tires today using a gauge and they’re all at about 4/32nds. However, I also noticed some cracking and chipping for a lack of a better way to put it. See attached

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 20
Any help is appreciated!

The speed rating can have an impact on the load rating, especially with V-rated tyres. They are derated for load at higher speeds. W-rated less so.

But I doubt that's an issue on an elantra, it's neither fast or heavy.

PDF from continental including a lot of this universal information

Last edited:
While there are cheaper tires rated with W speed I personally got General G-MAX AS-05 tires for Forte in sig, got $40 off on set of 4 on top of sale price and due to other considerations, wasn't going after W rating. That General tire is excellent imho, running them for 2 seasons so far.

Back