Speed Bleeders Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my Speed Bleeders in the mail yesterday, but I was really disappointed that I only received half the order.

I got one front caliper bleeder and one rear wheel cylinder bleeder.

I was under the impression that each blister pack had two bleeders!

Oh well, I placed another order and will eat the shipping.

So if you plan on ordering this is a heads up to be sure of quantity!

Well, I assumed because all the packages I have seen in the past always had two bleeders.

They are 7$ each, so 28$ isn't a lot of cash to do all four corners.

I should have been more careful, and realized 14$ is way too cheap for four bleeders.

It is my fault, but I get surprised by some of my carelessness I have been encountering over the past little while.

I am new to online shopping so I will really take it slow before submitting any order in the future.

I've done this myself when ordering online!
frown.gif

Let me know how they work out for you. I tried them once on the 4 Runner when I lived in Vermont. They rusted up after a year, even through the rubber caps, and the valves were frozen, rendering them useless. I would anticipate similar challenges in Montreal, but perhaps they've gotten better.

I am back to wife pushing brake pedal on the truck, though I've upgraded to a Motive power bleed for the Euro cars and it works great.

Last edited:
Had I pulled this off right the first time I guess I should have paid 15$ each for the Stainless versions
frown.gif

They look like heavy chromate conversion (Iridite) finish the ones I received.

I will make sure to rub a glob of silicone grease on them then fit the rubber cap on. I will push silicone grease into the hole in the tip as well to protect the valve from corrosion.

Montreal has really bad salt issues.

I'll really have to baby these with silicone grease until I scrap the car I guess.

Last edited:
I just gravity bleed mine until clean fluid comes through, then have someone pump the pedal to make sure all the air is out. Never really had much luck with the speed bleeders. Always sucked air through the threads without some vaseline on there

I was always a gravity bleeder as well in the past, didn't realize that this was going to get pricey.

The may just end up being a toolbox novelty.

When I do my brake job in the spring I may skip these.

OneEye,

Just crack the bleeder with a small vinyl hose attached into a empty small water bottle with some old brake fluid in the bottom.

Have the box end on the bleeder, then put the tube on the nipple, so you can close it without letting any air in.

Let it bleed until it is clear, and remember to keep a close eye on MC that it doesn't run empty otherwise you may need to bench bleed it (another story).

Find the sequence for your vehicle online.

Honda it is Front Left, Front Right, Right Rear, Left Rear.

It works flawlessly but you need a lot of patience, crack a beer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
I just got my Speed Bleeders in the mail yesterday, but I was really disappointed that I only received half the order.

I got one front caliper bleeder and one rear wheel cylinder bleeder.

I was under the impression that each blister pack had two bleeders!

What brand did you buy?

I've purchased speed bleeders multiple times and the package always included two. So you only get one package for each axle.

I get the Russell brand bleeders. I've purchased 3 packages over the last couple years and they were all made in the USA.
http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/speed-bleeders/index.shtml

I've personally had good luck with the Russell brand ones and never had problems with them sucking air around the threads.

I have used a hand-operated vacuum pump for about 10 years, and it works fairly well. It has trouble with reconditioned calipers, and sucks a lot of air around the bleed screws. But I still get a solid brake pedal because that air doesn't get into the system.

An earlier setup for one-man brake bleeding, which I still use, is a conventional brake bleeding bottle with a PCV valve on the outlet fitting. This acts as a one-way valve that will allow air to be pushed out when the brake pedal is pushed, but will stop air from coming back in when the pedal is released.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
So, a speed bleeder is just a bleeder with a spring and a one-way valve?

Pretty much ya.

I used the Dorman brand once, and they were junk. Now I will only use the Russell or Speed Bleeder brand ones now. They always come in pairs unless otherwise stated.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I used the Dorman brand once, and they were junk. Now I will only use the Russell or Speed Bleeder brand ones now. They always come in pairs unless otherwise stated.

What was wrong with the Dorman bleeders?

Speed Bleeder brand doesn't make any metric thread bleeders, so they're not an option for most cars on the road.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

What was wrong with the Dorman bleeders?

Speed Bleeder brand doesn't make any metric thread bleeders, so they're not an option for most cars on the road.

I remember them rounding off. Now that I think about it, I get the Russell ones from Summit.

I got my second order of Speed Bleeders.

One was the correct size, the other one was wrong.

I sent them an e-mail, hopefully they ship me another one that is the correct size.

Good thing I don't need these things until the Spring.

Biggest PITA and I haven't even started bleeding my brakes.

So far these bleeders are a lot of work, I am starting to think I was an idiot and should have just stuck to gravity bleeding.

We'll see if I get the correct bleeder no hassles.

I hope they don't want the wrong one back, it isn't worth the postage.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back