Specs say 75W-90. Can I use 80W-90 instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just changed the 2 differentials and the transfer case for my recently-acquired 274k miles Toyota 4x4 Tundra.

Very easy and enjoyable experience.

The old gear oil in the rear was black as coal but flowed freely. A few tiny metal slivers on the magnetic drain plug.

The transfer case oil looked somewhat better. It was dirty, but more amber colored.

The front differential oil was thick and black. Some of it came out in globs. I assume this is because the truck was rarely put into 4WD.

I used WAL-MART's house brand of 80W-90 on all three. Took a total of about 6 quarts.

I could SWEAR the truck ran more smoothly and quietly after doing this.

Originally Posted By: Arbuckle
Well, I just changed the 2 differentials and the transfer case for my recently-acquired 274k miles Toyota 4x4 Tundra.

Very easy and enjoyable experience.

The old gear oil in the rear was black as coal but flowed freely. A few tiny metal slivers on the magnetic drain plug.

The transfer case oil looked somewhat better. It was dirty, but more amber colored.

The front differential oil was thick and black. Some of it came out in globs. I assume this is because the truck was rarely put into 4WD.

I used WAL-MART's house brand of 80W-90 on all three. Took a total of about 6 quarts.

I could SWEAR the truck ran more smoothly and quietly after doing this.

ok run it for a few hundred miles and drain and re fill again to help flush some the gunk out.. take it down a dirt road or something and use that 4x4.. then flush it as well.. imo..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back