Specialized Rockhopper?

So I kinda fell victim of the family "he's got a garage, lets move all our stuff over there" deal. Among a slough of stuff this was in the lot and given to me. From what I've been told it was a somewhat expensive bike back in the day. It's a Specialized Rockhopper. Super light and while made in China, seems really well made.

qRGNKoI.jpg

ARvkXDX.jpg

Question for you folks, anybody know anything about these? I figure since I live in town I could get some use out of it and also explore the old abandoned PA Turnpike tunnels that are about 20 minutes from here. I could also use a little bit of exercise in my life. Since riding season is about to come to an end I figure I have this winter to take it apart and do what's needed. I did try riding it in the driveway, but haven't ridden a 2 wheeled bike in 16 years and almost busted my behind. :LOL:

The Rockhopper is a decent bike, 2nd in the line after the bottom end Hardrock series. Not a thing wrong with it and fine for your intended use. It looks barely used so probably doesn't even need adjusted. First is the bike a good size for you? This is a traditional style frame so if you stand over it and pull the bike up until it hits solid and you have 2-6 or so inches under the tires you're good. Big thing is to get the saddle height correct for you for efficient and physically safe pedaling. First thing is to get the saddle level, it looks tipped up, big no-no. A good way to get the height very close is to raise the seat so when the crankarm is down and parallel with the seat tube your leg is straight with your heel on the pedal. Then pedal it around and raise the seat up a little bit at a time until you feel your sit bones rocking across the saddle as your feet reach down around the bottom. This is too high, lower it until your butt is planted and not rocking. You want to pedal with the ball of your foot more or less centered over the pedal axle. The seat may end up level with or higher than the handlebars. I really like White Lightning chain lube, it's a dry lube that keeps the chain clean. Put 30 or so psi in the tires and ride it around. If anything seems out of adjustment there are probaby dozens of Youtube videos on how to adjust it and fit it.

Have fun and get a helmet. Busting your head isn't funny!

Last edited:
It's a basic mountain bike that is very capable if you want to do actual cross country mountain biking.

I wouldn't call my 08 Rockhopper light though

Get yourself a paperback copy of "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance". With that guide, you'll be able to take it apart and put it back together with ease.

It looks like a nice bike. Obviously little use on it, it still has the factory tires!

One of my friends modded a Rockhopper and he goes darn fast on it.
If you wanted to update it a little, check out Microshift Advent X. It's a 1x10 drivetrain that would give you a ton of range and lighten that bike up fairly well. You would be able to take that clunky three ring arrangement off the crankset and replace it with a single.
I'm full of crazy ideas that would make that bike really enjoyable but it would overshoot the value of the bike quickly. You'd have to not care and just go for it.
Here's a sample... That fork on there is a coil. Fine but not great. You could either search ebay for an air fork OR, my favorite option, since I believe that bike is a 29er, get a Surly ECR fork and put a 3" tire on the front. Every time I talk someone into this, they end up loving it. My stepson thought I was nuts as I did this to his bike until he rode it.
Also, as others have said, ride it as is and see what you think. If you really enjoy riding it, maybe improve it a little.

Grab a pair of these. Fantastic value and leaps and bounds better than the pedals that come on just about any bike.

One of my friends modded a Rockhopper and he goes darn fast on it.
If you wanted to update it a little, check out Microshift Advent X. It's a 1x10 drivetrain that would give you a ton of range and lighten that bike up fairly well. You would be able to take that clunky three ring arrangement off the crankset and replace it with a single.
I'm full of crazy ideas that would make that bike really enjoyable but it would overshoot the value of the bike quickly. You'd have to not care and just go for it.
Here's a sample... That fork on there is a coil. Fine but not great. You could either search ebay for an air fork OR, my favorite option, since I believe that bike is a 29er, get a Surly ECR fork and put a 3" tire on the front. Every time I talk someone into this, they end up loving it. My stepson thought I was nuts as I did this to his bike until he rode it.
Also, as others have said, ride it as is and see what you think. If you really enjoy riding it, maybe improve it a little.

Grab a pair of these. Fantastic value and leaps and bounds better than the pedals that come on just about any bike.

I just picked up a pair of those pedals thanks to your endorsement. I’ve slipped off my stock ones a couple times in bad spots and never thought I needed new pedals. I installed them last night so I didn’t get a chance yet to ride but they look SO much better. Thanks

Im happy to help . I am always on the lookout for best bang for the buck parts . Its hard to try and convince a casual bike rider to spend fifty dollars on quality platform pedals . These are just what the doctor ordered .

Specialized makes great bikes regardless of the country of origin. I have one of their "Vado" e-bikes. The thing is an absolute tank-and the price reflects it.

Spesh just squashed their whole fat bike line for 2021 . I know a bunch of people who are not going to be happy .

Back