special purpose filter, need bigger one though

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am currently using a puroilator pur one pl3001 ford v8 size filter.
i was wondering if there were any bigger ones out there (longer), and possibly came without a bypass valve, this valve is built into my engine from the factory and using 2 isnt needed.
i can go up to about 12 inches length, although i dont think there is any filters that long. i also do not need an anti drainback valve as my filter is mounted exactly upsidedown so it never empties of its contents. (makes it soo easy to change filters!)
i know some of you guys have cross referance charts and stuff that i dont have, could you gelp me?
the filter threads are 3/4 by 16tpi, its external diameter and gasket area is that of a ford 5.0L v8 filter, the "pl3001"
i would perfer it to be a pue one or a walmart brand filter is possible, because those 2 are easily has locally and i hate frams.
thank you for your time

Here are the specs on the L30001:

3.78x5.24, with an 8-11 bypass setting. Purolator claims 4GPM flow.

Then there is the L40017 (not sure if there is a PL Pure One version though):

3.69x7.12, with a 7-9 bypass setting. This one is rated at 7GPM of flow.

The L40017 cross references to the Supertech ST977 (if they make one, as I'm going by the Fram cross reference since I know Supertech uses their numbering system)

wow thanks man, i have a question though, is there any way to get a filter without a bypass and anti drainback valves?
if not, thats cool, it would just be gravy if i could get it like that, either way, thanks!

one last thing, in fram filter part numbers, what does the a stand for?
"ph977" compared to "ph977a"?

a = anti drainback valve?

The anti-drain back valve holds oil up in the engine valve train to eliminate dry starts (clacking lifters), or gravilty would let all the oil drain to the lowest leve. Ifs not to keep oil in the filter!

[ February 02, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

mike, in my application it just isnt needed, the lifters are solid type and dont hold a hydraulic presence, also any oil on the rockers/valves/etc will drain off anyways because of clearences between metal to metal surfaces is never perfect. an anti drainback valve isnt going to keep oil pressure on the valve train while the engine isnt running, the oil will leak out reguardless.
i could only see an anti drainback valve usefull in the case where the oil filter is not vertical like mine, but horizontal or upsidedown, or some combination.
i guess in my application, it cant HURT to have the anti drainback valve, but i do not see how it would benefit me either. sence i think it is of no use to my engine.

It not to keep any pressure. Its keeps some oil up so when the engine start its that closer to the top end.. I guess I am not explaining it right. The valve is just a piece of rubber or neopreeme etc that is behind the small inlet holes in the filter base. Its flexible and lets the oil past it thru the filter and up into the top of the engine. When the engine is shut down, gravity works to pull the oil back to the lowest level but it can't flow past the valve because the oil coming back from the top of the enigne forces the valve back covering the inlet holes and thus oil is trapped up in the top of the engine to be there the next time it is fired, about 1/2 qt or less. Without this you are likely to hear some valve train clatter for a second or two when fired cold.

Have you ever changed oil and removed the filter to have oil come gushing down from up in the engine? Thats the valve at work. You can go without one but it would be foolish IMO. The faster the oil gets to all parts of the engine the better. The fact that it is there is not hurting anthing or robbing any HP.

Here's a photo of one
no vale on the 58, valve on the 59
The 59 fits the new GM trucks 5.3L engines

-

[ February 02, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

It wouldn't be a good idea to run a filter without a bypass valve unless your engine is of a design that has the bypass in the block (like on many GM cars) Without it you could destroy the media of the filter, especially on a cold start in the winter.

And why wouldn't you want an antidrainback? It's a good thing to have no matter how your filter is aligned.

my block does infact have a bypass valve built in, and because of the fact that the filter is mounted directly straight up, it can never drain oil back into the oil pan, so i anti drainback valve isnt needed.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back