Speaking of overfilled sumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not remember any female I know checking oil. Growing up my older brother took Auto Mechanics in high school. When he was gone anything car related was my responsibility. Fast forward the lady of the house had a Lexus. Helped her replace bad battery after 5 years of ownership. She was not able to open the hood. After that I checked the oil.

Originally Posted by Chris142

The reason I'm showing my little cousin how to do things. At 13 she can drive a manual transmission, Change an oil filter and check oil.

We need more people like you!

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
I do not remember any female I know checking oil. Growing up my older brother took Auto Mechanics in high school. When he was gone anything car related was my responsibility. Fast forward the lady of the house had a Lexus. Helped her replace bad battery after 5 years of ownership. She was not able to open the hood. After that I checked the oil.

My hs girlfriend was a car chick. She built a 70 dart with a nasty 318 that embarrassed me at the local street races when she spanked my 340.

I wonder how many of the tough, macho guys here know how to cook a full course meal or do laundry or change a baby's diaper (what are apparently) "women's" jobs ? But they'll ridicule people because they don't know how to check oil in their car....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I wonder how many of the tough, macho guys here know how to cook a full course meal or do laundry or change a baby's diaper (what are apparently) "women's" jobs ? But they'll ridicule people because they don't know how to check oil in their car....

Fair points ^^^^^

I can do all of that.... I can cook my rear off....

I have cooked dinner for many people... And they have told me that I am doggone good... Or that I could open up my own restaurant.

I can and do wash dishes and put them away and wash clothes and clean anything up in the house.

I also can diagnose car issues quite well... Check my oil obviously too...

I am very much into doing guys work and stuff. I like talking about cars and racing etc.

I also enjoy doing all the other lady work/ stuff too... Because it is good to be helpful around the home. And my lady does not have much to do here at home because I take care of it.

All about balance in life. I am more convinced of this every day.

Last edited:
My son has taught his daughter the basic,s one day recently he was away at work so she came over saying the high beams did not work. I said we would check the circuit for power and suggested she check You Tube for any short cuts and 15 seconds later she had the relay location and a suggestion on which relay to swap to check same. Most people are interested in learning new things.

We had a good one in the shop the other day. Car from an independent garage. Car would not start. Took off oil cap, oil was filled up to the cams. We drained 17 L out of a 4 banger N20. Sheesh.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
My son has taught his daughter the basic,s one day recently he was away at work so she came over saying the high beams did not work. I said we would check the circuit for power and suggested she check You Tube for any short cuts and 15 seconds later she had the relay location and a suggestion on which relay to swap to check same. Most people are interested in learning new things.

Hearing stories like this gives me hope for the future.

I wish the schools would revisit what made them not only places of book learning, but practical life skills as well. How do we get this done?
The amount of PC nonsense at most public fools today is mind boggling.

Last edited:
I didn't need any shop class to teach me things. All my friends and I hung out in the garage after school, riding mini-bikes, motorcycles, driving cars, and playing with piston engines of all types, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Things mechanical were simple to all of us in my childhood group (1st grade through college graduation!).

Scott (age 66)

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
We had a good one in the shop the other day. Car from an independent garage. Car would not start. Took off oil cap, oil was filled up to the cams. We drained 17 L out of a 4 banger N20. Sheesh.

Part of the problem is that N20 motor doesn't even have a dipstick. Our E90 328i doesn't have one. I hate it. There is nothing more simple and reliable than a dipstick.

Scott

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
They don't have shop classes or consumer classes in high schools anymore. It is only Math, English, History, Science. Nothing practical or useful for future life.

Never heard of any school or class that teaches people how to check their engine oil level (and I graduated from school more than a few years ago).

That was all generally reviewed in drivers ed. We didn't get hands on driving classes in my day, late 90s, but they did go through the functions of all fluids, typical check methods, etc.

Regular schools no longer have driver's ed classes. That's done privately now (through "driving schools") and I'd have to ask our kids if they were taught this there. Our son knows how to check oil and change it (with help). Our daughter wants nothing to do with that aspect. Trust me, I would try !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back