Speaking of overfilled sumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady came in on Monday for an oil leak. Engine was leaking oil from everywhere. The oil pressure sender was bad and leaving some drips.

To counter the lost oil she has been adding oil without checking it! So say it leaked 4oz out she added a few glugs from the gallon jug in her trunk. I checked the oil and found the level a full 6 inches above the max mark! I drained 6 qts out of it and it was still 1/4 inch past the full mark.

Any damage noticed? That should put the question on overfilling to rest LOL.

Also did you tell her never do that again and use the dipstick? Some people man, completely clueless. At least she knew she was losing oil though.

How bad was the leak at the sender? Was it a leak at the sealing between the threads or was it a leak from the body of the sender? It must have shot out like a river if it was the body due to the pressure from the pump?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Lady came in on Monday for an oil leak. Engine was leaking oil from everywhere. The oil pressure sender was bad and leaving some drips.

To counter the lost oil she has been adding oil without checking it! So say it leaked 4oz out she added a few glugs from the gallon jug in her trunk. I checked the oil and found the level a full 6 inches above the max mark! I drained 6 qts out of it and it was still 1/4 inch past the full mark.

Good grief, nobody told her how to use a dipstick?
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

They don't have shop classes or consumer classes in high schools anymore. It is only Math, English, History, Science. Nothing practical or useful for future life.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
They don't have shop classes or consumer classes in high schools anymore. It is only Math, English, History, Science. Nothing practical or useful for future life.

Who's to say it was a young person? Ive met plenty of middle aged and older people that don't have the slightest clue about the basics of automotive.

She was an older lady. The sender was leaking between the plastic body and the metal part where its crimped together. It was not blowing out like a hose. Just a drip every 30 seconds or so. We made sure to show her how to check the oil. It seemed to run ok.

While I agree with you....I'm not sure Math, English, History and Science are being taught much anymore either.....

Never heard of any school or class that teaches people how to check their engine oil level (and I graduated from school more than a few years ago).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Never heard of any school or class that teaches people how to check their engine oil level (and I graduated from school more than a few years ago).

Years ago shop classes did things like that. I know that even if you were taking wood or metal shop, at times the teacher would put a day or three aside and do general maintenance classes like how to maintain a car, small plumbing jobs (change cartridge on kitchen faucets, ect) or basic electrical (how to replace a light switch, or
electrical outlet in the home) this was back in the late 1970s early 1980s. As an aside NO girls in those classes at all, never were, and you know what it was just fine that way. Just like Home Ec, no boys ever took those classes even though you could elect to if you wanted to.

Sad to see that the public "fool" system is truly foolish now.

Last edited:

Most likely auto shop but how many schools still have that? Besides, the vast majority of guys and even gals were taught by their fathers how to check the oil level. Since half the family's these days don't have fathers, well there ya go.

It's not politically correct but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Years ago shop classes did things like that. I know that even if you were taking wood or metal shop, at times the teacher would put a day or three aside and do general maintenance classes like how to maintain a car, small plumbing jobs (change cartridge on kitchen faucets, ect) or basic electrical (how to replace a light switch, or electrical outlet in the home) this was back in the late 1970s early 1980s. As an aside NO girls in those classes at all, never were, and you know what it was just fine that way. Just like Home Ec, no boys ever took those classes even though you could elect to if you wanted to.
I took "wood shop" and nope, never learned any of that stuff (in school).

FWIW, I and many other "boys" did in fact take "Home Ec" classes. Big reason was we got to cook food and eat it !! Pffftt, I also learned how to sew and other things. I can replace a loose button on my clothes to this day and am proud of it !! My wife just rolls her eyes when she says, "here, let me do it" and I remind her, "no, I took home ec in school".

Originally Posted by PimTac
Most likely auto shop but how many schools still have that?
My high school had our own "vocational" wing with auto repair, auto body, welding, carpentry, food service (they operated a restaurant, the Spartan Inn, in the school), and so on. It was a bigger city school though. None of the surrounding suburb schools had this - they sent those kids to a 'shared' vocational school. It was simply a numbers game in this case.

Now, as for this "auto repair" class, if you took that, that was your specialty. You had that class for a couple of hours a day and then went to the main building for math, English, etc. No one could take "auto repair" as an elective as a 45-minute/day class, for instance.

Besides, the vast majority of guys and even gals were taught by their fathers how to check the oil level. Since half the family's these days don't have fathers, well there ya go.

That explains a lot.

Most likely auto shop but how many schools still have that? Besides, the vast majority of guys and even gals were taught by their fathers how to check the oil level. Since half the family's these days don't have fathers, well there ya go.

The reason I'm showing my little cousin how to do things. At 13 she can drive a manual transmission, Change an oil filter and check oil.

My HS had "motor mech."
As a compulsory over two semesters you had to enroll in 4 classes including:
-Drafting
-Motor Mech
-Wood Work
-Home Economics.
-Computers (I hated even the mere idea of learning about them)

Shame that most I went to school with, mostly do not practice what we were taught.
To think of all the $$$ wasted needlessly by students who didn't want to learn how to do the most basic auto maint. after school.

Then again, despite being forced into taking Home Ec I cannot say I can recall how to thread a bobbin anymore.
Or even where a bobbin fits into a sewing machine.
confused2.gif

Yes there is. Home economics was a requirement in my middle school and all the local highschools have an option to go to a tech center at the local community college as an elective. That's a gross overgeneralization like saying old people don't know how to use technology for the future of mankind.

Regardless there's plenty of ways to research and an abundance of knowledge how to do anything on the internet. This isn't a "school is useless" issue.

Last edited:
My Sister in law took in a foster kid. He was a teen and after a while they started giving him more and more responsibility. They asked him if he knew how to check the oil in a car and he assured them that he did. He went off to do the task and came back saying it was a little low and had to add some. When the family car started puking smoke out the tail pipe things got interesting and they found out he had dumped a full 5 qt jug into the engine.

My wife just rolls her eyes when she says, "here, let me do it" and I remind her, "no, I took home ec in school".

You had me laughing out loud. Use that line often on her....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back