Speakers, don't make them like they used to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a rattle on the Escape and low volume on one of the Focus speakers. Thought it was a simple wiring issue, I was a bit surprised on what I found after pulling door panels off. These dB speakers isn't even 10 years old, wonder why the degraded like they did? The back Pioneer 6x8's are almost 20 years old and still in good condition. On the Focus one of the Pioneer 6x9's tore the voice coil, the other side including the factory speakers are still in good shape. Ordering some Pioneer 6x8's to put back in.

IMG_4161.JPG

One of our Ford work trucks blew a speaker a few months after it was purchased new. The driver of this truck does not "crank up the volume", so to speak. Warranty work covered it.

I don't think it's that they "don't make them like they used to", I just thing that's a pretty low-end speaker. 10 years in a door that's obviously seeing some moisture, and I'd say you got your money's worth.

I just pulled the Diamond Audi Hex Components out of my 15 year old Freestyle, and they look like new; but, it's a cast aluminim basket, stainless hardware, a kevlar/nomex cone, high quality surrounds...

Good speakers that will hold up in a car door are out there, but they're expensive.

That speaker looks like a retrofit, and looks filthy. Could be any number of issues.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
That speaker looks like a retrofit, and looks filthy. Could be any number of issues.

I would agree that the speaker is not OEM.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Yeah, I've pulled speakers out of boats that have seen less moisture
crazy2.gif

It has been in there a while.. I said 10 years but maybe a few more. Inside the door is clean and the escape likes to rust. The passenger side looks the same. If there was moisture I'd expect the door to be rusted and it isn't. These speakers cost twice what the back pioneers were. Poor quality more than anything IMO.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
It has been in there a while.. I said 10 years but maybe a few more. Inside the door is clean and the escape likes to rust. The passenger side looks the same. If there was moisture I'd expect the door to be rusted and it isn't. These speakers cost twice what the back pioneers were. Poor quality more than anything IMO.

The inside of the door would have significantly better corrosion protection than the metal on that speaker, which is well evidenced by the rust on it. I assume there's nothing behind the speaker to block it off from the door, that it is open behind it? Were the OEM ones in plastic housings that isolated them?

If I'm understanding that this picture is how you found it, wood and all, that is a lowish quality aftermarket speaker and could've been half worn out when it was put in originally. I mean who would buy the wrong size then use wood? It's something the installer already had.

I made the adapter not worried about that... that is what I had. The speakers were brand new... actually had them in three cars the Escape was the longest.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Replaced with the same thing/brand ... ??? Why

I'm going to consider the Pioneer a fluke, separated at the coil and cone.

In the nature of everything happens in three our Denon receiver in the house decided to die also. Long overdue on a upgrade and need to new speakers.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
I made the adapter not worried about that... that is what I had. The speakers were brand new... actually had them in three cars the Escape was the longest.

It sounds as though your expectations for OTC audio equipment is unrealistic.

If you installed the speakers in the photo 2 times prior to this car and removed them 2 times before installing a third and final time in this car, I don't think they would be considered ‘new' at that point. Yet they lasted 10+ years in an environment for which they were not meant to be used.

I have no doubt their quality when new was on the low end, but the fact that you got as much life out of them as you did is very impressive.

Also, the 20y/o Pioneers in the rear that cost half as much as these DB Drives are not in good shape, and I don't need to see them to know that. They may still make sound, but no OTC Pioneer speaker made 20 years ago and in operation ever since will be in good shape now.

That's just not realistic to believe or expect that kind of return on such a meager investment, especially when the product isn't meant to last that long in the first place.

I'd have to say sometimes materials get used that just don't hold up, regardless of the quality of the product they're used in. I still kick myself for throwing away a pair of nice Snell Acoustics speakers because the foam surrounds rotted out. When I made that error, I had no idea you could get drivers repaired (new surrounds or cones). Another unrelated example is the long-standing use of the roof liner material that pretty much always, eventually, comes loose and "droops" in cars - both low and high priced

We just bought new Alpine 6X9's for our RAM and the upgrade is incredible. 35 bucks per pair and they are amazing. Fit like OEM. Wonder how many folks here have seen the amazing RAM door panels. A real surprise there for me.

Cones are some sort of composite, I expect them to be durable, too. But CHEAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back