Spark plugs

Hey guy’s, Can I use a different spark plug than what the manufacturer recommend? For example, The manufacturer of my Toyota and Acura recommend Ngk or Denso iridium spark plugs. Will there be a major difference or problem if I install Denso platinum or copper plugs? Thanks

I've used both the less expensive platinum NGK and Densos in the proper heat range where iridium was specified w/o any noticable performance difference. I wouldn't expect the same longevity from the platinums so if it is a PIA to change them like on a transverse mounted V6, stick with the iridiums.

1668007881139.png

I've used both the less expensive platinum NGK and Densos in the proper heat range where iridium was specified w/o any noticable performance difference. I wouldn't expect the same longevity from the platinums so if it is a PIA to change them like on a transverse mounted V6, stick with the iridiums.

View attachment 125277
Thanks for the advice.

I always like to stick with OEM spark plugs, trust me i have tried ALLL of them, NGK, Bosch, Denso, Champion etc and have always gone back to the OEM, in my case Motorcraft plugs on my Fords.
Can’t go wrong with oem that’s for sure.

Hey guy’s, Can I use a different spark plug than what the manufacturer recommend? For example, The manufacturer of my Toyota and Acura recommend Ngk or Denso iridium spark plugs. Will there be a major difference or problem if I install Denso platinum or copper plugs? Thanks
Technically no issues as long as the replacement plug carries the same heat rating.

Big picture. Use the Oem plugs.

I do like to stick with the OE recommended, and type. But I'm not against OEM. For example, on my BMW N54, the Bosch plugs were $3/ea. cheaper, so I went with them. The difference was the markings were green, whereas the BMW version, they'd be blue. Both have the same P/N on them. I'd prefer not to say switch to ACDelco or NGK, but I'm sure those would work. This reminds me my wife's SUV is waiting and on that the intake comes off--I've never actually removed an intake to do plugs, and I have the ACDelcos for her GM.

Also, my .02 ymmv, I don't use anti-seize when the mfg says not to and/or not needed. And I do torque them.

With Toyota its NGK or Denso only. Typically Toyota installs Denso at the factory. You can use copper type plugs but will need to change them more often. Think about that for a V6 where the rear bank is hard to access.

Paco
I had to replace the valve cover gasket on my Toyota, The intake had to come off to replace the rear gasket….The plugs and coils is doable with extensions and a u-joint socket.

Thinking about trying Denso copper plugs.

I like the Denso platinum TT. Used them on my BMW 328, Honda crv and a friend's Tundra. Good price and long life. Our Juke had some 1 off NGK plugs so I stuck with those from the dealer. Figured if they went through the trouble to make a part just for that motor it must have a reason

The manufacturer of my Toyota and Acura recommend Ngk or Denso iridium spark plugs. Will there be a major difference or problem if I install Denso platinum or copper plugs?
Will it run? Yes sure. Will it feel different? Maybe, maybe not. Could have occasional misfires especially under load or the idle might not be as smooth and mileage may drop especially with coppers. Is there a reason you want to do this? Lower cost?

At least for Denso, if there is an aftermarket replacement, it's easy to go down a grade of material.

Let's say... the aftermarket equivalent is IK20. Then the platinum is PK20.

There is SK for iridium long life.

But then there are suffixes also, like TT for Twin Tip.

But if you have the 3VZ-FE or 1MZ-FE for your Camry SE, the rear bank of spark plugs is difficult to access from the 60° V-angle, where the plenum is in the way. So, it's better to go with iridium so it's not a constant hassle. You may be able to use a bunch of U-joints to slowly remove the spark plugs, or in my case, reach in with my skinny arms and do everything blind with scratched up forearms. Or... remove the intake plenum to get easy access.

At least for Denso, if there is an aftermarket replacement, it's easy to go down a grade of material.

Let's say... the aftermarket equivalent is IK20. Then the platinum is PK20.

There is SK for iridium long life.

But then there are suffixes also, like TT for Twin Tip.

But if you have the 3VZ-FE or 1MZ-FE for your Camry SE, the rear bank of spark plugs is difficult to access from the 60° V-angle, where the plenum is in the way. So, it's better to go with iridium so it's not a constant hassle. You may be able to use a bunch of U-joints to slowly remove the spark plugs, or in my case, reach in with my skinny arms and do everything blind with scratched up forearms. Or... remove the intake plenum to get easy access.
What can add to the confusion is I notice the term "OEM" being used a lot with Japanese cars, and I think the reference is what came with the car.

However, with German cars it's very transparent, think about a windshield--there's OE, it has a mfg logo on it. There's OEM, it's made by the same co. that made the OE, but lacks the mfg. logo. Then there's aftermarket, like the ones you get from the chain installer.

Example--my Lexus 02 upstream sensors. Lexus is $220 and $180. Made by Denso. Denso online is $52 and $42. This is aftermarket, not OEM. For all I know OEM doesn't exist. The Lexus are made in Japan. The Denso are made in USA.

Denso is in fact also OE--like with my wife's GM SUV, her alternator.

Again, can be confusing. I myself like OE or OEM, and only aftermarket on parts where it shouldn't make any difference. But in my case with the O2 sensors, Denso has a good reputation and the price was $52 and $42, so I went with them, as would many shops....

net net is spark plugs, I still would like to have OE, or OEM...not aftermarket as this can be controlled...when the choice is OE or aftermaket, that's dicey...

again my .02 ymmv

If you have a transverse V6, stick with OE or better. Only use Denso or NGK iridium. Denso and NGK make the best spark plugs. Even if OE was Autolite or Champion, you can usually upgrade to Denso or NGK Iridium.

Nothing to do with your post but I really your profile picture. Dad had one of those back in the day, a 92 V6 SE but in taupe color. It was an automatic but most were manuals in that configuration.

Yeah - I really hate that. Nearly all spark plugs these days are copper core (plus a resistor) since that transfers heat better. But that's almost everything out there.

Anatomy_CopperCore.png
Most spark plugs contain a copper core for increased conductivity, improved heat control and improved resistance to fouling.​
"Copper spark plugs" is a term mistakenly used for a standard or traditional plug. Due to its soft nature and low melting point, using copper as an outer material would result in a plug that only lasted minutes.​
A standard spark plug uses a nickel-alloy outer material fused to a copper core. Some plugs also include a coating or pad of precious metals to extend plug life. As a general rule of thumb, all spark plugs utilize a copper core, but copper is not used as an electrode material.​

But somehow this has turned into "copper plugs" even though the electrode is almost universally some sort of nickel alloy, which may be combined with fused iridium or platinum attachments.

I don't think there's anything where a particular aftermarket manufacturer couldn't make an equivalent plug that would work as well as the OEM. But what's cross-referenced isn't necessarily OE quality. I went to a shop that almost exclusively uses Denso plugs, even with applications where the only OEM plug is from NGK. I think that's good enough. But I still wouldn't want what's supposed to be an equivalent plug from Bosch or Autolite.

As for whether or not a traditional plug could be used in place of platinum/iridium OEM - that depends on the parameters of the design. Many aren't necessarily high performance, but just there to provide 60-120K mile scheduled spark plug changes. But I remember with my 1995 Integra GS-R, they went with a 1.3 mm gap and a spark that I heard got really hot and had a tendency to mess up nickel-alloy only electrodes. It wouldn't mess up the base metal on the OEM platinum puck plugs since the spark would preferentially go across the platinum.

If you have a transverse V6, stick with OE or better. Only use Denso or NGK iridium. Denso and NGK make the best spark plugs. Even if OE was Autolite or Champion, you can usually upgrade to Denso or NGK Iridium.

I recall NGK or Denso is pretty popular with German car owners even though many of them spec Bosch, which many consider junk. A lot of the Big 3 parts are really either NGK or Denso that are made for them with their own labels.

Back