Spark Plugs hand tight

to me those plugs show no sign of "blow-by" so you don't have anything to worry about. If they had backed out far enough to create an issue you would be able to see evidence on the porcelain part of the plug and the hex for the socket, not to mention the running condition, sounds and DTC's the vehicle should have had.

Just my $0.02
I agree, it does not appear there was blow by, and you would probably have gotten a CEL if there was an issue and probably a rough running engine.

I do personally this and I am NOT suggesting anyone do this procedure!

When I absolutely must chase a spark plug thread with the head still on engine. I remove the spark plug bring the piston to top dead center and then stuff the spark plug holes with moisten bread until it touches the bottom of the threads. Then do a quick 2 run chase and then vacuum out the contaminated bread with a *specials hose adapter I made just for this procedure . What ever bread remains will in no way harm an engine and will be blown out in seconds after the engine fires.
I've also heard of shaving cream being used to catch the shavings.

I think loose spark plugs could possibly cause a performance drop due to lost compression, but this would be very low... barely noticeable, if at all. Plugs need to be just tight enough to seal the chamber, to get a ground on the cylinder head and to avoid loosening due to engine vibrations. Most modern spark plugs are held in place pretty well by the coil pack so I really wouldn't worry about it. Those plugs look pretty good.

If a plug is real loose, especially in an aluminum head, the threads will metal fatigue and the plug may eventually blow out of the hole.

Gasket seal plugs are tightened by angle, some brands like NGK have instructions on the box. Taper seal plugs are entirely different.

A honda/acura tech buddy does my timing belt and plugs on our van. Same thing when I checked a plug a couple years ago. Was barely more than hand tight. I didn't ask him about it because I trust he knows what he's doing. The bigdog guy on youtube always makes me nervous as he tightens finger tight then 180 degrees more.

I had a reputable shop do spark plugs on my daughters 2008 Jetta 2.5 3 years ago with 129k miles on it. I do keep a log but I forgot to enter this as it wasnt done by me and quite honestly didnt think we would still own this car but it still runs great. Car currently has 162k miles and I decided to do the plugs since I had the chance. When I went to loosen the plugs they were practically hand tight, I honestly didnt think the socket wasnt on the plugs. Mistakes happen and no damage, my question is would this cause a loss of power. There wasnt any check engine lights. The car is primarily used for short trips to the train station 2 miles away. When I do plugs I like to use a torque wrench as I dont trust my skills without one. Here is a picture of the plugs

View attachment 66269
When the plugs were changed at 129k miles, were they originals or had they been changed prior?

I did them around 50k. They were done a second time at around 100k but I forgot since my daughter took ownership over.

I do personally this and I am NOT suggesting anyone do this procedure!

When I absolutely must chase a spark plug thread with the head still on engine. I remove the spark plug bring the piston to top dead center and then stuff the spark plug holes with moisten bread until it touches the bottom of the threads. Then do a quick 2 run chase and then vacuum out the contaminated bread with a *specials hose adapter I made just for this procedure . What ever bread remains will in no way harm an engine and will be blown out in seconds after the engine fires.
What?

Stuffing bread into a pipe to stop small amounts of water that is leaking in equipment or lines you need to solder or weld to repair is an age old trick. Once you are done and when the line is fully pressured back up , the softened wet bread just falls apart and is washed away. Never heard the bread in the spark plug threads before but can see it if someone know what they are doing.

Last edited:
Back