Spark plugs @ 50k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
So I today I pulled the spark plugs from my Mazda at just over 50k miles.

Here is #1
1SparkPlug50k.jpg

And #3
3SparkPlug50k.jpg

The electrode on the no 1 plug is a little worn, while the no 3 looks fine.

I did not look at the rest of the plugs, but what would be the cause of the tip wear?

The car runs just fine and I was planning on keeping these until 75K, thats when the manual recommends changing them, I gues if they lasted 50k another 25 should not be a problem.

What do you guys think?

These are iridium, I already put them back on, as removal and installation is very easy on this car, and I did not have replacements.

These plugs are rather expansive and hard to get in Canada, so I guess I can check them at around 65k and see how they are holding.

Changed a set if Iridiums in my co-worker's 2003 GMC Envoy, at 105,000. They actually looked great, a little grey and no soot. The truck was running very badly, but ran like a top after the replacement, indicating internal wear or some sort. I think heat and vibration can take its toll, despite a plug's outward appearance.

I think she paid around $8.60 each...how much are yours in Canada?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I couldn't find them at CT or Part Source, at the dealer they are about 25 a pop
crazy2.gif

Holy.....

I would clean and reuse. The ground electrode looks like it still has a lot of meat left on it. The ceramic looks pristine. I would dress the center tip on #1 with a file.

Fortunately I have easy access to a git blaster. I clean my plugs and reuse them until the electrodes have eroded too far. This usually means I get twice the manufacturer's recommended usage out of them -- about 60K for regular plugs.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Fortunately I have easy access to a git blaster. I clean my plugs and reuse them until the electrodes have eroded too far. This usually means I get twice the manufacturer's recommended usage out of them -- about 60K for regular plugs.

For copper plugs, I just don't see the point. I need 6 plugs for the Jeep every 30K miles and they're under $2 each. At that price they're not even worth cleaning.

I would not clean them, because they look fine and grit will be very hard on the electrode tips. You can't file these to make them nice afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back