Spark plugs @ 50k

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
So I today I pulled the spark plugs from my Mazda at just over 50k miles. Here is #1 And #3 The electrode on the no 1 plug is a little worn, while the no 3 looks fine. I did not look at the rest of the plugs, but what would be the cause of the tip wear? The car runs just fine and I was planning on keeping these until 75K, thats when the manual recommends changing them, I gues if they lasted 50k another 25 should not be a problem. What do you guys think?

KrisZ

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
These are iridium, I already put them back on, as removal and installation is very easy on this car, and I did not have replacements. These plugs are rather expansive and hard to get in Canada, so I guess I can check them at around 65k and see how they are holding.

Changed a set if Iridiums in my co-worker's 2003 GMC Envoy, at 105,000. They actually looked great, a little grey and no soot. The truck was running very badly, but ran like a top after the replacement, indicating internal wear or some sort. I think heat and vibration can take its toll, despite a plug's outward appearance. I think she paid around $8.60 each...how much are yours in Canada?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I couldn't find them at CT or Part Source, at the dealer they are about 25 a pop
Holy.....

Kestas

Staff member
I would clean and reuse. The ground electrode looks like it still has a lot of meat left on it. The ceramic looks pristine. I would dress the center tip on #1 with a file. Fortunately I have easy access to a git blaster. I clean my plugs and reuse them until the electrodes have eroded too far. This usually means I get twice the manufacturer's recommended usage out of them -- about 60K for regular plugs.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Fortunately I have easy access to a git blaster. I clean my plugs and reuse them until the electrodes have eroded too far. This usually means I get twice the manufacturer's recommended usage out of them -- about 60K for regular plugs.
For copper plugs, I just don't see the point. I need 6 plugs for the Jeep every 30K miles and they're under $2 each. At that price they're not even worth cleaning.

I would not clean them, because they look fine and grit will be very hard on the electrode tips. You can't file these to make them nice afterwards.