Spark Plug Tips

NGK says multi electrode plugs only fire to one electrode at a time. Multi electrode plugs promote flame quench.

Ed

NGK says multi electrode plugs only fire to one electrode at a time. Multi electrode plugs promote flame quench.

Ed

NGK also says this about Multi-Ground electrodes:

It is important to note that multi-ground does not mean multi-spark, there will still only be one spark at a time.

There will only be one spark at a time as created by the coil's secondary voltage pulse.

The arc itself has no decision making properties as to which electrode it will spark. Physics says the plasma arc will occur from the center electrode to its nearest neighbor ground electrode. If two ground electrodes have the exact same distances to the center electrode, and the coil's voltage is high enough and its current capability is sufficient, then a dual arc will occur between the center electrode and each ground electrode.

Last edited:
interesting but lots of mumbo jumbo over my head!! like engine oil choices very controversial. as always $$$ controls what a modern car gets + i believe exotic metal plugs are more about long life for marketing less upkeep + of course since spark plugs can be labor intensive in some vehicles thats good. my 2001 audi tt 225Q gets NGK V-groove plugs, EZE change BUT my 2011 fronty has the OE plugs with 35 thou on them + prolly should be changed, one side of the V-6 OK the other NOT so much!! Dr Jacobs wrote about ignition efficiency years ago + since he help develop heart pacemakers might know a thing or two!! he liked only copper core plugs + discussed higher voltages mostly for racing! lots of advances in ignitions these days + when i had a custom large diameter GM HEI distributor built for my warmed over 72 olds Cutlass the difference was amazing + 60 thou gap was recommended with copper plugs!! great topic for sure thanks to all for their input!

Re the NGK video:
1) At 0:45 did you see the baseball bat sized wrench being used to install the plug? Kinda big (and wobbly), no?
2) At 1:20 did he mean the unused electrodes actually mask the flame front (effectively dampening it?) Or, in other words, the "extra" electrodes cool the flame front as they absorb heat?

1626686590480.png

1626688488700.jpeg

1626688662504.jpeg

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S2090447912000883-main.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Last edited:
Figure 1 (C) lower-left, Page 309; I see four electrodes not three.

Figure 1 (D); maybe semantics here but there is always a ground electrode in order to complete the circuit. I think this electrode configuration should be called an "Un-conventional Ground Electrode" (UGE) spark plug.
Figure 1 (C):You are right.
Figure 1 (D):The main body is the ground.

Could a fine wire tip cause preignition or detonation in a vehicle not designed for it?

Could a fine wire tip cause preignition or detonation in a vehicle not designed for it?
In what way would a fine wire tip cause or lead to pre-ignition? I have not come across it myself in experience or heard of it other than shade tree talk that isn't based on data. Lower than needed octane is the main contributor to these issues. The wrong heat range plug can be a contributor, but that's just not paying attention when buying and installing them. In general, fine wire plugs create a more efficient and long lasting spark plug with no downside that I have come across.

Back