Spark plug for two stroke generator

I have an Eastern Tool and Equipment (ETQ 950/TG1200) air cooled two stroke generator that is available from a plethora of manufacturers as it’s just a cheap Chinese one but they are all the same basic machine. The owners manual for the specific model I have says to use a NGK BPR6ES spark plug. While reading around the web I found an owners manual under the Champion Power Equipment name and that recommends three different plugs (heat range is different) depending on ambient temperature and use. I also found under the Tail Gator name to use a different plug than the four already talked about. Would it be of any benefit to change the plug according to the temperature or use?

IMG_7289.jpeg

IMG_7288.jpeg

IMG_7292.jpeg

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

No. Champion sucks. NGK is better.

NGK makes an iridium plug for that application, part number BPR6EIX. The colder plugs are, of course, BPR7EIX and BPR8EIX

Denso makes a twin tip iridium, part number IW20TT (same heat range as stock NGK BPR6). Denso doesn't seem to offer the TT in the colder heat ranges

Appreciate all the advice on brand but am wanting to know more about the heat ranges and ambient temperature/work load.

Would it be of any benefit to change the plug according to the temperature or use?
The only reason to go hotter or colder is fouling or other plug failure modes.

If your running high RPM / high load you may benefit from colder.

If you run sparingly or low RPM run hotter.

Only way to know is put recommended plug in, use it as you plan for a while, then check the plug visually.

The only reason to go hotter or colder is fouling or other plug failure modes.

If your running high RPM / high load you may benefit from colder.

If you run sparingly or low RPM run hotter.

Only way to know is put recommended plug in, use it as you plan for a while, then check the plug visually.
I have never had a plug problem in one of these generators after ditching the Torch plug and going with a name brand that crosses over to it.

The heat ranges on the plugs he mentioned are all very close and even crossover.

Appreciate all the advice on brand but am wanting to know more about the heat ranges and ambient temperature/work load.

Use the stock heat range to start, and if you have any problems, remove the spark plug (the type of wear can tell you some things), and use a different one (hotter/colder) if necessary :unsure:

How often are you going to use it, and under what conditions?

Use the stock heat range to start, and if you have any problems, remove the spark plug (the type of wear can tell you some things), and use a different one (hotter/colder) if necessary :unsure:

How often are you going to use it, and under what conditions?
I’m going to run a small deep freezer with it on a three day road trip, it will be in the bed of my truck. After that trip I don’t know when I’ll use it.

Back