Spark plug discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have brand loyalty? Just buy what is cheapest? Any opinions on which ones are better?

I have always used champion or motorcraft. Was in a pinch and bought autolite last month. Didn't want to buy those as they are marked "Made in Mexico". I always buy "made in usa" plugs.

I was impressed with the autolite. However, I wanted to hear what others have to say. As I am going to be buying plugs for my yearly change out soon.

Usually NGK or Champ for me, depending on application. I'm running 6 NGK Iridiums right now on a 6A box. No problems. Had Champs in a Honda 2.3 and they worked well. Who makes Autolite? Are they their own manufacturer or something?

Not sure what kind of miles you're doing per year, but Champs would seem to be a good candidate for that regimen.

I have used Bosch Platinum +4 plugs for years, with no complaints. Since Platinum plugs last 100,000 miles, I have never pulled out a set of Bosch Platinum +4 plugs to see how they looked.

Recently I changed out my daughter's 2004 Malibu with GM Iridiums (supposedly the best type of plug for street cars). I must say that I was impressed with how the 110,000 mile plugs looked ! Could not see any erosion of the electrode, they looked great. I read somewhere that iridium is 8 times harder than platinum. They made a believer out of me. They are a little pricey though, $44 for 6 plugs.

Why are you changing spark plugs yearly ? Seems unnecessary with today's platinum plugs.

Last edited:
Only plugs that I have had any luck with are Motorcraft or Autolite. The only thing that I use Champions in are small equipment (and I try to avoid them for that, as well.)

Over the years I've tried all types of spark plugs from various makers, but Champion always seemed to deliver better value for the money per mile in my experience. Now I try to buy the plugs that will last the longest since my Corvettes have aluminum heads, and the #2 plugs require "creative" thinking to remove. The less time spent replacing spark plugs is my primary concern.

Presently, I'm using ACDelco Rapidfires in both my Corvettes. The plug has shown it's capable of going strong for 50K miles while improving fuel mileage. (Stock gap for both engines is 0.035" while ACDelco recommends gaping the Rapidfires to 0.045".)

Champion makes an iridium spark plug for both my Corvette applications which coupled with the $3.99 per plug sale at NAPA is mighty tempting; however, I don't need to change plugs for at least another 20K miles.

The last Motorcraft plugs I bought were platinums that lasted 98,000 miles. I did the Stealership 50,000 mile maintenance regimen when I joined the Air Force and didn't have a place to work on it myself.

Right now I have NGK platinums in there. They work just peachy keen.

Do you do a 100,000 miles a year? Why are you replacing the plugs yearly?

I am not brand loyal. Plugs are plugs. Bosch, NGK, Denso, Champion...had 'em all, no difference in performance.

Don't both with Iridium, it's a gimmick for 99% of cars. Very few actually need that. Just get a platinum plug, gap it, install it, and forget about it.

Fords sure like their Motorcrafts!
Precious metal fine wire double tipped are always a good bet.
Avoid multi pronged ones unless your car came with them from the factory. Same thing goes for any Bosch plug.

wow some of you have no reason to be working around cars
lol.gif

you don't have to replace spark plugs until they start misfiring. which is usually 100k+ miles

i just recently changed the ones in my focus at 125,000 miles. probably won't have to again for the life of the car

I put whatever was in there originally. I put ACDelco in the Saturn and Montana. Have not changed the plugs in the Vic yet, but it would get Motorcraft.

NGK is the only brand i've used and the only one i will used. Why switch to something else when the brand you've been using has been excellent?
Originally Posted By: jmsjags
wow some of you have no reason to be working around cars
lol.gif

you don't have to replace spark plugs until they start misfiring. which is usually 100k+ miles

i just recently changed the ones in my focus at 125,000 miles. probably won't have to again for the life of the car

you are right, but people will do it to keep their car running as if it came off the lot.

Last edited:
anyone use platinum plugs in older cars ? I'm thinking of trying them in my 93 olds, it did not come with plat plugs but the ignition system should handle it right? What types of engines should not use plat plugs? i figure not in an old points system but otherwise can you use them in anything?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

Why are you changing spark plugs yearly ? Seems unnecessary with today's platinum plugs.

I come from a rust belt state, and it is in-grained into my head how things get glued together if you don't keep them freshened up, if you know what I mean. That is part of it, at least.

My plugs aren't that hard to get to so I see know harm in changing them once a year. I ran the factory plugs for 70k, and they looked great, except that the gap opened up on them. After installing the new plugs my "lack of power" problem I was having went away. So I figure changing them once a year will keep me informed to internal engine condition (reading the plug), and keep mileage and engine power acceptable.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Do you do a 100,000 miles a year? Why are you replacing the plugs yearly?

Take a look at these factory plugs I ran 70k. They look great, however I was having "loss of power" issue. When getting onto the freeway my motor would just make a lot of noise and not accelerate as quickly. After I changed the plugs I got my power back.

It may be hard to tell as there is nothing for size reference, but the gap is way large compared to what it should be. So, if I change them once a year, basically I am keeping my gap in an acceptable range. My plugs aren't that hard to get to. I do own a Freestar and that one will only get plug changes when necessary.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...383#Post1637383

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
He must change the plugs as part of his monthly pad change.

I fixed that one for ya!!!
lol.gif

I would say next to heat range and length the most critical item is the number of electrodes

Many cars are really sensitive to this, especially newer ones.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
anyone use platinum plugs in older cars ? I'm thinking of trying them in my 93 olds, it did not come with plat plugs but the ignition system should handle it right? What types of engines should not use plat plugs? i figure not in an old points system but otherwise can you use them in anything?

I had a 93 oldsmobile. When I changed the plugs in that, the first time, the old ones in their were bosch platinum. I put the cheapy champions in there. Couldn't tell any difference in how it ran. Have fun, the three against the firewall are a bit of a pain, but can be done easily if you are patient and flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back