Spark Plug Change - Crack Loose on a Cold- or Hot Engine?

Copper seize is your friend. Another great anti seize is a DIY using Moms (Milk of Magnesium) Open the lid and allow the liquid carrier to evaporate. Once evaporated the paste is an absolutely great anti seize. Better then copper seize.

Unless it's a 3 valve 5.4. Get that engine warm and use an impact to get them out. Ask any Ford tech. ;)
I was gonna bring this up and Northstar mentioned it in this thread, too.

I haven't tried it yet but it seems well accepted by many (not all) that you wanna get that sucker hot and zing 'em out with an impact wrench.

I need to do this on the wife's '08 F150....

I was gonna bring this up and Northstar mentioned it in this thread, too.

I haven't tried it yet but it seems well accepted by many (not all) that you wanna get that sucker hot and zing 'em out with an impact wrench.

I need to do this on the wife's '08 F150....
Is that why Milwaukee released this:

Is that why Milwaukee released this:

And this by LISLE. It works very well. ;)

Another question

is it alright to crank DI engine a couple of times without the plugs to get rid of the dirt/residue from the cylinder head

i remember my cousin would do this on regular EFI engines, but I'm not sure for DI engines these days?

Any thoughts on the thread title?

Thanks in advance to any/ all who answer. Oh, btw... aluminum head.
It depends on the car. Refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations in the service manual. My Subaru says cold but for my Ford the service manual had multiple huge warnings about taking out spark plugs on a “cold-soaked engine”.

It's always best to pull spark plugs when the engine is cold. But if the plugs were torqued properly and haven't been in there forever, it should not be a problem to pull them hot... if you really have to. My $0.02

Another question

is it alright to crank DI engine a couple of times without the plugs to get rid of the dirt/residue from the cylinder head

i remember my cousin would do this on regular EFI engines, but I'm not sure for DI engines these days?
I would think it would suck dirt INTO the cylinder through the spark plug hole on the intake stroke.

Another question

Use an air wand on an air compressor hose to blow the wells out before and after removing the plugs.

Another question

I would not, you could easily suck dirt in. Plus with stop start buttons, its difficult to bump a starter.

Back