Spark Plug and Coil Boot Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 Expedition 5.4 4x4.
I have easy access to all my spark plugs now since I have the intake manifold off, so I would like to take advantage of that and replace the plugs and coil boots. Anyone have recommendations for a quality plug to replace with?

Autolite APP-104 double platinums would be a good choice. I've been using Bosch PLATINUM+4 plugs, made in Germany, with great success. I have a tune for one heat range colder, but I believe the stock heat range part number is Bosch 4459.

Both NGK 58901 and Denso 671-6069 are good choices for coil boots.

The popular opinion with F-series trucks with that engine is to stay with OEM. There are options. You'll find the spark plugs & COP from aftermarket suppliers. You'll probably want to ask this question on a Ford truck forum or read through what has already been posted. You'll probably also want the special tool kit for the plug change, in case the plugs break.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
Autolite APP-104 double platinums would be a good choice. I've been using Bosch PLATINUM+4 plugs, made in Germany, with great success. I have a tune for one heat range colder, but I believe the stock heat range part number is Bosch 4459.

I used to like bosch but now they most are made in china and china bought them out so Im not big on bosch.

I like Motorcraft for ford
A/C Delco for GM
Denso / NGK for Asian / Japanense
Champion for Chrysler / Jeep
Also NGK works well with anything.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
You'll probably also want the special tool kit for the plug change, in case the plugs break.

His is a 1998 model, and isn't a 3-valve engine

Originally Posted by Fitz98
I would like to take advantage of that and replace the plugs

You do understand that can turn into a nightmare if any of the plugs break, and chances are some will if it uses those special plug shown above.

This is a 2V engine, not 3. This style can pull the threads out of the head if you aren't careful. They don't break.

As far as parts go, stay with motorcraft plugs and just any parts store coil boot should do

Last edited:
Originally Posted by David1
Originally Posted by Falcon_LS

I used to like bosch but now they most are made in china and china bought them out so Im not big on bosch.

I like Motorcraft for ford
A/C Delco for GM
Denso / NGK for Asian / Japanense
Champion for Chrysler / Jeep
Also NGK works well with anything.

China did not buy Bosch out, all the plugs I get in the USA are made in Germany. They no doubt have manufacturing facilities in China to supply the worlds largest car market with German car makers have a huge part of the market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bosch_GmbH

Are the spark plugs difficult do change in your Expedition? If you were to only do the plugs, would you still have to pull the intake?

If so, please consider NGK Ruthenium. They will last a very long time, so you'll never have to pull the intake again!

You should also replace your valve cover gaskets.

OEM from a dealer. Too many fake plugs out there. YouTube has videos on fake NGK plugs. I don't know if Ford plugs have copy cats.

I'd get exactly what the owner's manual says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back