Spare Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1994 Toyota Camry V-6 since new. I still have the original full service spare tire which has never been out of the trunk. I've read that rubber deteriorates over time. Is this spare safe to use (should the need arise) or should I replace it??

IMO, buy a cheap new one to replace that 12 year old tire. Personally, I wouldn't trust a tire that old. You may even be able to skip the balancing charge and just get one mounted cheap as it is only going to be a temp.

It might be OK. The spacesaver spare in my 12yr old Volvo still appears to be in good shape. Do you see any deterioration/cracking in the rubber? Since it has stayed tucked away in your trunk, it hasn't had much UV exposure. If you choose not to replace it, it might be safe to treat it like a temporary spare. That is, if you do use it...use it for only a short period of time, limiting your speeds while in use.

If you do multi thousand mile road trips like I do I would replace the tire. If its just an around town commuter, as long as it holds air I'd say its fine.

1 cheap whatever tire mounted and balanced could be had for $60. It's a 15" tire right?

Every once in a while I get a flat tire. That tire, if it has still a lot of tread left, and if it can be fixed properly, becomes my new spare tire. I used to do buy 5 new tires and then to include the spare in the rotation, but I got tired of doing that.

I wouldn't trust any tire that's over 4 years old, no matter if it's on the car or if it's been marinating in the trunk.

[ April 26, 2006, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Take the tire out of the trunk and inspect it. If it's starting to crack, is glazed or doesn't hold air for long periods of time, toss it and replace it.

By the way, many full-size spare tires are identical to the other four that came with the car new... I don't see how it would be any better.

If I remember correctly, the donut that came with my Audi had an expiration date on it. Anyway, first thing I did was getting rid of the donut and replacing it with a full size spare.

quote:

Originally posted by Farbie:
I own a 1994 Toyota Camry V-6 since new. I still have the original full service spare tire which has never been out of the trunk. I've read that rubber deteriorates over time. Is this spare safe to use (should the need arise) or should I replace it??

Your tire is old however a visual inspection for cracks etc is critical. You should also pressure check it at least every 3-6 months.

Next time you buy tires rotate one of your mostly bald but still newer used tires to the trunk and use the spares' rim on your on-road rotation. This won't cost you anything and will keep fresher rubber in storage. I assume if you have alloys on the road your spare is on an alloy rim too?

offtopic.gif
My Dad has a garaged 40 Ford with Firestone Bias-ply tires that he restored in the late 1970s. He's just again replaced all 4 tires from the original restore job on "general principles" of rubber rot. Old tires "looked" fine as far as nice crack free sidewalls etc.

I've always replaced the donut with a full size spare.
A tire is said to have a 6 year life on the vehicle.
I would think the spare would last much longer being out of the elements.
I'll bet you don't have the 60lbs of required air pressure in it.
tongue.gif

Thanks for all the feedback. I inspected the spare and there are no cracks and is not losing any air. I'm due for a new set of tires so to be on the safe side I think I'll use one of the tires currently on the car as a spare. Might as well play it safe.

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:
i have a feeling that spares are built better than normal tyres. 12 years is a while though.

Spares that come stock, from the factory, on vehicles are not built better than the tires that come stock, from the factory, on the wheels. Nor can you buy a spare that's built better than the same tire purchased to put on a wheel. As a matter of fact, on some new vehicles the spare is a lower quality tire than the four tires on the wheels.

I agree w/ jmacmaster. Spares (compact)are temp use only and would be no better. Most spares now are compact anyway. I would guess that if there were a full sized, it would be the same brand and model as the OEM. Who would want to "test" a compact one? Not me. OEM tires aren't my preference anyway, regardless.

Colt:
Farbie's spare was full sized so it would only need the vehicle's recommended pressure, not 60 PSI like a compact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back