Southwest Airlines withholding return of alcohol service after passenger knocks out two teeth of a flight attendant

From what I’ve read, especially in higher-tier cabins the Asian/Middle Eastern carriers are a little more liberal with alcohol. But within reason.

And thanks Astro14 for the real-world example of getting hammered on a plane. Personally, I only have one drink at the airport or the plane - but I’ve seen people get sloshed before boarding. I’ve had bartenders at the airport try to pour me another drink, I tell them no.
Sometimes. Flying to China they come around with some decent Great Wall of China red wine. I asked for a second glass about an hour after the first and the FA was aghast. LOL. I tend to pass out on planes so I stay sober mostly. Not much fun passing out and red wine seems to make it worse. I'm usually doing some good deeds on SWA and they offer me free cocktails if a FA notices. I decline.

Was sitting next to an older gentleman on a flight to Vegas a couple years ago. He ordered 2 bottles of vodka and a beer and sucked them down in about 45 minutes. Then ordered another vodka and beer.

I treat other passengers and FA with the same politeness exhibited at the gun range. At least the gun range I used to visit. Always cracks me up how overly polite everyone is at the gun range. It's nice.

My work is starting to open travel up again. Luckily, all my inspections for this year were handled remotely.

From what I’ve read, especially in higher-tier cabins the Asian/Middle Eastern carriers are a little more liberal with alcohol. But within reason.

Depends on the airline. Quite a few middle eastern airlines don't serve alcohol It's also really weird with the flag carriers from some Islamic countries that do serve alcohol, like Etihad or Emirates. Those countries (especially Dubai) have a complicated relationship with alcoholic beverages. My understanding is that the restrictive laws are where it's technically illegal save some very tight restrictions, poorly enforced, and maddeningly difficult to figure out how to do it legally. I've heard that nearly anyone can get a drink there, nobody will really explain what is or isn't legal, but they'll generally bring down the hammer if someone is intoxicated in a public place.

Depends on the airline. Quite a few middle eastern airlines don't serve alcohol It's also really weird with the flag carriers from some Islamic countries that do serve alcohol, like Etihad or Emirates. Those countries (especially Dubai) have a complicated relationship with alcoholic beverages. My understanding is that the restrictive laws are where it's technically illegal save some very tight restrictions, poorly enforced, and maddeningly difficult to figure out how to do it legally.
That’s who I was referring to - Emirates and Ethiad, who have a international presence and one of the most expensive First/Business class products on the market outside of SQ and some I don’t remember. Alcohol is verboten in Islam but EK/EY does serve alcohol on board.

an acquaintance was serving a tour of duty on the Middle East during the Bush Jr. years, he said the Army threw a picnic for morale and he was initially stoked to see Budweiser being served, but it was a special non-alcoholic brew for distribution in the Middle East.

That’s who I was referring to - Emirates and Ethiad, who have a international presence and one of the most expensive First/Business class products on the market outside of SQ and some I don’t remember. Alcohol is verboten in Islam but EK/EY does serve alcohol on board.

an acquaintance was serving a tour of duty on the Middle East during the Bush Jr. years, he said the Army threw a picnic for morale and he was initially stoked to see Budweiser being served, but it was a special non-alcoholic brew for distribution in the Middle East.

Sure. Dubai and to a lesser extent Abu Dhabi tolerated non-Muslims drinking alcohol even though the law made it very restritive. It was openly served at hotels and at Dubai Airport. But technically one was supposed to have a personal license. Apparently the law has specifically changed to allow alcohol without a license. But I've heard of cases where people were publicly intoxicated and as such they made an example out of them by charging visitors or foreign residents with an alcohol license violation.

It‘s not drinking on or before a flight that’s the issue, it’s getting “sloshed” or “hammered.”

On my flight last week (363 EWR-HNL) the couple was belligerent, profane and non-compliant. That’s going to get you in trouble. Was it the booze? I’m certain it was. You start yelling profanity at the crew, you’re out of control. That booze decision nearly cost them their vacation. A poor choice.

I’m not against alcohol, just against irresponsible use. I‘ve had many drinks on airplanes when flying as a passenger. I’ve got over 800,000 miles as a paying passenger on United alone. Used to go to the Middle East quite often. Long itinerary.

But the way to do it correctly involves modest alcohol and lots of water. Dehydration is a big problem on long haul flights, so is DVT. Alcohol contributes to both.

It's all depends. Certainly I've seen rules for alcohol consumption that don't allow it for anyone working at an airport for a certain time before starting work. And there is operating a vehicle, where obviously it will impair judgement even if someone isn't necessarily belligerent.

I've gone wine tasting where I was not driving, but I saw others hired a limo service to take them around to avoid driving. I'm not sure what their rules are when it comes to getting completely blotto. I suppose it's like Uber, Lyft, or taxis where they might be popular with people out drinking to avoid driving, but where the operator might have concerns about whether their passengers will "get sick".

But the way to do it correctly involves modest alcohol and lots of water. Dehydration is a big problem on long haul flights, so is DVT. Alcohol contributes to both.
I carry a 1L Hydro Flask on me when I fly - I usually fill it up at the gate and hydrate well before boarding. But I always ask the flight attendant for an extra can of water if possible. I haven’t flown on a 787 or A350XWB to take advantage of the lower cabin altitude which is claimed to be easier on human physiology.

DVT is real but you can’t really stand up and take a walk on a plane. I remember a long time ago on a SFO-SYD flight people were allowed to socialize in the galley for a snack. Can’t really do that on a narrow-body plane.

I carry a 1L Hydro Flask on me when I fly - I usually fill it up at the gate and hydrate well before boarding. But I always ask the flight attendant for an extra can of water if possible. I haven’t flown on a 787 or A350XWB to take advantage of the lower cabin altitude which is claimed to be easier on human physiology.

DVT is real but you can’t really stand up and take a walk on a plane. I remember a long time ago on a SFO-SYD flight people were allowed to socialize in the galley for a snack. Can’t really do that on a narrow-body plane.
I fly with compression socks … company pushes them so we can get good versions and expense …

There are in-seat exercises you can do to help prevent DVT. Some international flights will have the videos included on your screen. These are very helpful on those long haul flights.

I suppose it's like Uber, Lyft, or taxis where they might be popular with people out drinking to avoid driving, but where the operator might have concerns about whether their passengers will "get sick".
Last time I checked, airlines don’t charge for “cleaning” unlike Lyft and Uber. I had drivers tell me stories of drunkards unloading in their cars.

in any case, it’s unpleasant and can only be taken care of when the plane lands by ground crew, or so I assume.

Last time I checked, airlines don’t charge for “cleaning” unlike Lyft and Uber. I had drivers tell me stories of drunkards unloading in their cars.

in any case, it’s unpleasant and can only be taken care of when the plane lands by ground crew, or so I assume.

A lot of public transportation has changed to easier to clean seating. BART in the San Francisco Bay Area used to employ fabric seats, but now they use vinyl because it's easier to clean off. I've also taken the train where they allow personal alcohol consumption, and the occasional cleanup is needed.

Why even serve alcohol on a plane in the first place?
Alcohol has been offered on flights for almost as long as commercial aviation has existed. It's not the problem. Today there is a new breed of belligerent idiot out there, who has respect for nothing. This type of nonsense was unheard of 25 years ago. Today it's all but a daily occurrence. Booze is not the variable in this equation. Uneducated, disrespectful idiots are. We need a, "No Fly List" alright.... Not so much for terrorists. But for everyday nit wits who possess room temperature I.Q.'s.

My brother just experienced this the other evening on a flight from the east coast to SEA. A passenger decided to start banging his head on the walls and anything else he could find. He was subdued and the plane landed without further incident. Most of the passengers including my brother suspected drugs as the cause.

The cabin and flight crew did a good job.
He probably needed a drink badly.

It‘s not drinking on or before a flight that’s the issue, it’s getting “sloshed” or “hammered.”

On my flight last week (363 EWR-HNL) the couple was belligerent, profane and non-compliant. That’s going to get you in trouble. Was it the booze? I’m certain it was. You start yelling profanity at the crew, you’re out of control. That booze decision nearly cost them their vacation. A poor choice.

I’m not against alcohol, just against irresponsible use. I‘ve had many drinks on airplanes when flying as a passenger. I’ve got over 800,000 miles as a paying passenger on United alone. Used to go to the Middle East quite often. Long itinerary.

I did not see this. Are you back flying 767?

Leo99 said, "I treat other passengers and FA with the same politeness exhibited at the gun range. At least the gun range I used to visit. Always cracks me up how overly polite everyone is at the gun range. It's nice."

The most polite and considerate people you will meet anywhere are hunters out in the field.

I must be different because when I fly it is to get to a destination, not for any other purpose. So I politely put up with intrusive TSA, bossy flight attendants or whatever, including a mask if necessary. The end result, I get off the airplane at my destination and do not make a side trip to a jail. I also take a drink or two when I fly because I KNOW the plane is going to crash. Alcohol does not make me aggressive, but I know people who do get aggressive with it.

I am back flying the 757/767. Working a LOT. Max hours as we get crews re-trained and current again. Don’t mind being busy. It’s a welcome change.
You staying on 757/767 or moving to 737 as was planned during pandemic?
I bet you are busy. I have flight to Rome from EWR on 09/25, and plane is packed. Same was on Austrian few weeks back.

You staying on 757/767 or moving to 737 as was planned during pandemic?
I bet you are busy. I have flight to Rome from EWR on 09/25, and plane is packed. Same was on Austrian few weeks back.
I'll stay.

It's a far better airplane - better performance, handling, routes, capability.

We are growing, and plan to hire over 1,000 pilots in the next year. The initial reaction to the drop (a 97% drop) in travel demand was to begin getting smaller, which would've pushed me out of my seat, but UAL decided that this was the time to take advantage of our competitors' weakness and slow response to changing travel patterns by adding new routes, growing some routes, and adding capacity in certain markets.

So, I'm delighted to be staying on the 757/767.

I'll stay.

It's a far better airplane - better performance, handling, routes, capability.

We are growing, and plan to hire over 1,000 pilots in the next year. The initial reaction to the drop (a 97% drop) in travel demand was to begin getting smaller, which would've pushed me out of my seat, but UAL decided that this was the time to take advantage of our competitors' weakness and slow response to changing travel patterns by adding new routes, growing some routes, and adding capacity in certain markets.

So, I'm delighted to be staying on the 757/767.
Yeah I know you were not happy going to 737, but at that time even that looked like a deal.
i am glad things are much better now. My buddy that retired from marines is going for those open pilot jobs as contracting jobs in Afghanistan are obviously not an option anymore.

Last edited:
Back