Sorry, but I need help again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to invest in a bi directional scan tool (not a code reader) and learn how to interpret the data. Honestly, any other way you are on a fools errand, guessing and throwing parts at it and wasting time and getting frustrated. There is no old school or shade tree anymore when it comes to modern vehicles.

If you want to see what is going on, for far less money than a scan tool:

- buy a 3.99 ODB2 bluetooth dongle
- buy the "torque" app for your phone
- link them and you can look at every PID in the ECU

I had a 2001 Taurus with that engine. Over the course of a few years, chasing down a part throttle cruise misfire and some pinging, I spent a lot of money throwing parts at it, and a lot of money to have shops throw parts at it for years.

The DPFE sensor was bad, but not bad enough to set any codes. Replaced it when it finally did set a code, and the part throttle cruise misfires and pinging that I had been chasing for years immediately went away.

In my business everything gets looked at with a second set of eyes, is there anyone you know that has some mechanical engine trouble shooting skills that can take a look.

Good morning guys,

I'm at the doctors office with my wife for an appointment so I will sum up prior replies.

MAF sensor was cleaned and inspected first thing. The plugs, plug wires, and coil pack was replaced with motorcraft OEM. Throttle position sensor was replaced after a CEL with code P0122 and it cleared itself immediately upon being replaced. PCV valve was replaced at same time belt and tensioner was replaced but I did not replace elbow. After checking with carb cleaner for vacuum leaks, I was unable to locate a a leak anywhere.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
In my business everything gets looked at with a second set of eyes, is there anyone you know that has some mechanical engine trouble shooting skills that can take a look.

Coworker with over 30 years of automotive experience said it was beyond him. He said his only inclination may be tiny pin holes in the fuel pump line inside the tank, but he also said that no CEL with codes was rather odd too and that I may have to wait until I get a CEL in order to avoid throwing more money at this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
Please explain. DPFE means what? Thanks.

Delta pressure feedback of EGR. The DPFE sensor is connected to the EGR through two tubes. These tubes become pressurized when gas flows through the EGR at which point any difference in pressure is recorded by the DPFE. By measuring pressure differentials, the DPFE can calculate how much exhaust gas is currently in the system.

I have a 1990 Ranger 2.9L v6 that has had that issue since I have owned it. Intermittent misfire at idle. I have had some sucess replacing the EGR valve and replacing the intake manifold gasket and the MAF. The mileage never changes. Always between 20-22mpg. I use 87 from Sam's Club. Have new Autolite plugs wires and cap and rotor. May just be a beast problem. Mine runs and drives good. It has 81K original on it.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
Sorry, I said EGR and meant to say PCV valve

My truck does not have EGR or dpfe that I can find

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
vwmaniaman said:

A quick lookup on RockAuto shows a DPFE is used. I've seen RockAuto have mistakes before, so....
If it does happen to be the DPFE as the problem, replace with a Motorcraft only. My daughter's Mustang would only be happy with a Motorcraft.

I had a 98 Ranger with the Vulcan 3.0 Same type of issues, like a stumble. Drove me crazy. After doing essentially the same things you did, I said heck with it and just drove it. Went another 100K before I sold it.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
I had a 98 Ranger with the Vulcan 3.0 Same type of issues, like a stumble. Drove me crazy. After doing essentially the same things you did, I said heck with it and just drove it. Went another 100K before I sold it.

Two independent, well known and respected local shops have told me the same thing. They've had folks with same issue on same engine get 100k+ miles on the "phantom" problem.

Like I said before, it's just driving me crazy. I feel like it's the same as being told that I have hereditary high blood pressure and regardless of what I do diet/exercise wise it's not going to make it go away. Weird analogy but it's what it seems like to me.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by NavyVet88
vwmaniaman said:

A quick lookup on RockAuto shows a DPFE is used. I've seen RockAuto have mistakes before, so....
If it does happen to be the DPFE as the problem, replace with a Motorcraft only. My daughter's Mustang would only be happy with a Motorcraft.

Yes I saw that exact dpfe as well on rock auto which originally lead me to believe that I have one, but upon looking, I cannot find one or an EGR valve.

Your truck probably doesn't have an EGR valve. Mine does not.

Is the Dorman cam synchro still in there? Put the old one back in, or a Motorcraft, and see if this new stumble goes away. I'd trust a random used Motorcraft synchro over Dorman. There are some cases where using Dorman parts is just fine, this is not one of them.

Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor yet?

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Your truck probably doesn't have an EGR valve. Mine does not.

Is the Dorman cam synchro still in there? Put the old one back in, or a Motorcraft, and see if this new stumble goes away. I'd trust a random used Motorcraft synchro over Dorman. There are some cases where using Dorman parts is just fine, this is not one of them.

Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor yet?

MAF was cleaned very first thing. The old synchro has a lot of wobble in it and a grinding noise coming from the shaft so I threw it away after replacing it with the dorman.

The stumble did not change after replacing the synchro though.

Last edited:
I would still replace the Dorman with a Motorcraft as soon as possible. There's no way I would trust a Dorman with all the low mileage failures that people on Ranger and Taurus forums were experiencing. It's way too critical of a part, and I wonder if it's contributing to your new problem of missing at speed.

Your next step is probably to look at fuel trim as mentioned above. Beyond that, put some miles on it and see if it will set a CEL.

One more thing, there's probably a bunch of PCM updates available for the truck. If it's really driving you nuts, it might be worth it to pay a dealer to do a reflash to the latest version. I had mine done in 2011.

Going to throw this out there.... you sure you don't have a torque converter going out...lock..unlock...lock... it will feel like the symptoms you are describing, right speed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back