Sooo, Neodymium Magnets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently when changing the spark plugs on my Mom's Car, one of the fasteners i had to remove, in order to remove the upper intake, in order to access the rear bank of the Ford 3.5l v6 (I will never buy another transverse v engine!), fell into the valley.

I was able to spot said fastener, just off to the side of the pipe running into the waterpump (I think), Tried to get a neodymium button magnet(approx nickel sized)close enough to attract the little bugger. It's Supposed to be an all Aluminum engine, so i figured magnetism shouldn't be a problem... well that magnet flew from my hand and stuck to the Pipe, so it's obviously Ferrous... Tried reaching in with a 4 fingered grabbing tool, wouldn't grip the magnet, just pushed the screw further down under the Pipe. I got a replacement screw for that bracket already(cost me a whole 63 cents at the ford parts counter!)

so, anyone got any tips/tricks to remove a neodymium magnet from a Ferrous Pipe in an enclosed area that you can't fit a hand into?

-OH! I already tried an magnetic pickup tool, it would stick to the magnet, but wasn't strong enough to overcome the first magnets attraction to the pipe.....

Above 85C it dramatically weaken its magnetic force... Can you get that pipe above 85C?

Originally Posted By: Hammehead
Above 85C it dramatically weaken its magnetic force... Can you get that pipe above 85C?

That is true of some magnets, but not necessarily Neodymium

The super glue on a steel rod trick works the best

Just carry on. It won't hurt anything where it is and the worst thing that could happen is it will just fall out from driving shock / vibration.

Neo's are some of the most affected by heat, by the way, although different materials react differently as far as destroying magnetic attraction, all magnets lose some strength when heated. The necessary temperatures vary though. Some will come back when heat is removed, yet it's possible with enough heat to eliminate the magnetic properties altogether (the Curie Temperature, typically 600 degrees C or a bit higher).

In an aluminum engine, by the way, pipes and other external stuff is often magnetic, such as steels, and depending on the material composition, even some Stainless.

Originally Posted By: Hammehead

At 200F engine oil temp typical magnets lose 20-30% and recover when cool.

To dramatically you'd have to go way over 350F, close to the "curie point".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back