Sonata strange battery charging behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only because Chrysler had massive problems with charging regulators so they decided to look at other avenues.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I laugh,Chrysler has had computer controlled charging since 1985 on EFI models,now everybody is a Johnny Come Lately when it comes to catching up.

Why be surprised, especially when it comes from Asian Car manufacturers, they perfected the art of Copying other companies stuff.

Saying goes something like this..."Americans and Europeans Innovate, The Asians Duplicate" haha.

Been this way for decades.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
II left the volt meter in the 12V outlet for a week and glanced at it every now and then, same results. It's almost like a hybrid!

That thing reads the voltage output of the alternator ? And you just plug it into the cigarette lighter ?

I gotta get me one of those !
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
II left the volt meter in the 12V outlet for a week and glanced at it every now and then, same results. It's almost like a hybrid!

That thing reads the voltage output of the alternator ? And you just plug it into the cigarette lighter ?

smile.gif

LINK

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

smile.gif

Yup, I think I paid like $1 or $2 on eBay. I bought 3 of them, one of them reads .2V too low though.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My Dodge Journey has a clutch on the pulley but the voltage regulator keeps the voltage the same regardless of acceleration, deceleration and idling. That's really weird if that is what it is. Haven't seen that before. (Smart Alternator Charging)

The clutch you speak of might be an over-running clutch. Think of a bicycle that you get up to speed then stop pedaling. The clutch on the wheel lets it keep spinning without forcing the pedals to move as well.
In this case, it will let the alternator spin faster than the belt drive for example right after a gear shift.
Alternatively, it might be a decouple when the engine speed gets really high.

These smart charging solutions don't actually decouple the alternator from the engine, they are telling the voltage regulator what they want, and then the regulator does its thing.
In this case, they are telling the regulator, "I want 12.6V" and the regulator maintains 12.6V. When you turn on the headlights, they ask for 14.4V, and the regulator does that instead.

smile.gif

Yup, I think I paid like $1 or $2 on eBay. I bought 3 of them, one of them reads .2V too low though. [/quote]

Mine reads .2v low too. Weird!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back