Sometimes you need to disconnect for a few days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a 4 day R&R trip into the woods. Gotta say it was definitely needed and well worth it! Closest cell reception was 10 miles away, so no distractions there.

The last 5 or 6 weekends have been super busy for me. Jeep trips here, there, everywhere. I have been taking fridays and mondays off for these trips. The trips, for fun, are more stressful than every day to day life in some cases.

I booked a site at a campground where I have gone since I was a kid. IT's not like a KOA where it's a giant parking lot. There's woods between the sites and the sites are private. I had one of the more private sites and was pretty much on my own road. Quite nice.

So, Saturday morning, I loaded up the $200 duct-tape special popup camper, hooked it to the Focus and headed into the woods!

Have to say, the popup was the best $200 I spent. Even with the batteries, dorm fridge, new tires and $40 worth of Gorilla tape, I am still in it under $500. It didn't leak during the rain storm, deployed and packed up in an hour each time. Quite a bit nicer than a tent. Yet ... even with my refrigerator, I didn't feel like I was glamping. I was reminded of that when I'd have to get up and go outside to use the bathroom haha!

I met up with some old camping friends that we met when I was probably 14. It was nice to reconnect with them. We would have a fire each night, then I'd either head back to my site, or stay at my site after everyone was done and just drink a few cold beers and watch the fire until 2:30.

At which point, I'd walk up to the shower building (yes ... it had running showers and bathrooms) about 1/4 mile away - at night - and shower. It was a great experience. The first trip back from the shower I saw some coyotes running around. Didn't see any bears though.

Went for a hike by myself one day. Then explored the little towns around. Mostly overpriced junk, but still kind of neat to explore.

Was definitely a good time and well worth it! Some people buy $500,000 buses. I had just as good (or better) of a time as they did with my cheap camper and used compact car.

It sound like a great time. I miss the days of tent camping at Roger's Rock up on Lake George. We progressed from tent to van conversion camping, but we haven't gone in close to 30 years now. Good times, great memories!

That sounds like a great time! When my wife and I go camping, we usually make it a point to leave our phones off or in airplane mode (so we can still take some pictures).

We spent about 5 days in the Minnesota Boundary Waters while canoe camping. Even though we were on one of the more traveled lakes (all relative), it was very quiet and peaceful. We survived the rains and cooked our food over an open flame. There are designated sites to limit the damage to nature, so there was a latrine there.

View from our camp site:

We do the same when we go to the local state parks. If possible, we try to do the walk-in sites, they're usually a lot more secluded than the drive in sites.

I'd really like to pick up a pop-up or a small teardrop trailer for quick weekend camping trips without having to do too much planning. My Element's towing is limited to about 1500lbs.

Nice!

Couple years ago we went down to DC to see the city; but stayed outside of it and took the subway in. Kept costs in check, no driving in the city, etc. Had our pup had a/c we would probably do again.

Originally Posted By: supton
Nice!

Couple years ago we went down to DC to see the city; but stayed outside of it and took the subway in. Kept costs in check, no driving in the city, etc. Had our pup had a/c we would probably do again.

I would say the whole vacation cost me under $200. Luckily it was cool enough at night that it wasn't too bad. Except for the night that I didn't strap down the bunk and my foot ended up outside

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
That sounds like a great time! When my wife and I go camping, we usually make it a point to leave our phones off or in airplane mode (so we can still take some pictures).

We spent about 5 days in the Minnesota Boundary Waters while canoe camping. Even though we were on one of the more traveled lakes (all relative), it was very quiet and peaceful. We survived the rains and cooked our food over an open flame. There are designated sites to limit the damage to nature, so there was a latrine there.

View from our camp site:

We do the same when we go to the local state parks. If possible, we try to do the walk-in sites, they're usually a lot more secluded than the drive in sites.

I'd really like to pick up a pop-up or a small teardrop trailer for quick weekend camping trips without having to do too much planning. My Element's towing is limited to about 1500lbs.

Nice view!

My coleman Columbia camper weighs 830 pounds.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It sound like a great time. I miss the days of tent camping at Roger's Rock up on Lake George. We progressed from tent to van conversion camping, but we haven't gone in close to 30 years now. Good times, great memories!

We used to go to upstate Connecticut, to the Housatonic Meadows campgrounds, not far from Lime Rock Park road course.

I miss those times very much.
frown.gif

I have to get back to volunteering/working/marshalling for the east coast stage rallies (Maine Forest and Susquehannock Trail), so I can get back into the real woods for a weekend.
It may not be a total disconnect (which IS the best, yes) but, I love it none the less

Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER
What if I am permanently disconnected?

Joseph:
-your phone battery will die in 1-10 days.
-you will breath clean air
-you may be in better shape
-you may eat better/healthier
-you will not do updates on many forums (oy vey, the horror)
-you may have better focus
-you may be at piece with yourself
-probably you will not touch a vehicle

or maybe you will come back a little more focused and repair the third volvo.

or get your life back

Thanks to having a fridge, I was very much able to eat healthy. That's a requirement, though, otherwise you're stuck on energy drinks and ramen because you need stuff that doesn't go bad without refrigeration.

2 Group 27 DC batteries , 25 amp charger and the small HF generator worked great.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What kind of things did you pack to eat?

I brought some ground beef (we know the farmer, grass fed no antibiotics), beef franks, egg whites, turkey bacon. Then for snacks, apples, banana, granola bars.

I did bring Ramen noodles just in case I couldn't be outside but didn't want to cook actual food in the camper. Of course 4 gallons of water and some powerade type drinks. Can't forget the local brewery's IPA

That sounds delicious. Some of our camp favorites are baked sweet potato, baked potato, sweet corn. The sweet potato is the best. I was them and double wrap them in foil and throw them around the edge of the fire by the coals. It's almost impossible to overcook. We put them in way early and let them cook all evening, then eat them in the morning. A little butter or just a dash of salt and they're delicious. You know they're done when they're soft.

Sound nice.

I am spending a week with family in a bunk house with running hot water and stove top on porch at a lake campground. We did get a full camper first night(showed up early accidently) with full bath own bedroom from kids and honestly I did not like it. On vehicle I spent $150 on 17cu ft Thule cargo box and 4 bike hitch carrier at yard sale. Those swallow cargo.

My wife has aspirations for pop top but not sure for a family of 5 it would work well.

Our only "camp dinner" has been marinated chicken grilled on fire pit and local corn cob cooked on husk. Balance meals precooked at home and we eat well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back