Something to think about

I asked a friend who has crossed 70 & is heading towards 80 what sort of changes she is feeling in herself? She sent me the following:
1 After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children and my friends, I have now started loving myself.
2 I have realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.
3 I have stopped bargaining with vegetable & fruit vendors. A few pennies more is not going to break me, but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.
4 I leave my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a smile to her face. She is toiling much harder for a living than I am.
5 I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. The story makes them walk down memory lane & relive their past.
6 I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. The onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.
7 I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me. And a small tip for the recipient of a compliment, never, NEVER turn it down, just say "Thank You.”
8 I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. Personality speaks louder than appearances.
9 I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not know my worth, but I do.
10 I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the rat race. I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.
11 I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my emotions that make me human.
12 I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships, I will never be alone.
13 I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last.
14 I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe it to myself. Happiness is a choice. You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!
I decided to share this for all my friends. Why do we have to wait to be 60 or 70 or 80, why can't we practice this at any stage and age?

Sorry for your loss Vladiator. Heart wrenching.

Excellent stuff CourierDriver. I think this wisdom is not incorporated early in life because we are not born with these traits and our upbringing often does not teach this to us. Thus, it's learned through the hard knocks of life. Think of the challenges of teen life, early adulthood, and mid-life. Finances, relationships, kids, career, health, and on and on. Cognitive therapy addresses how people intake and manage what they are exposed to and helps them adopt your principles above. Think about the people here that have anxiety over a finger print on their car. Mindfulness is another strategy to assist people dealing with life influences. It's one thing to read your list, it's very difficult to learn to incorporate it and practice it.

Thanks for posting this.

I've seen similar lists over the years. Often they contain some hint of validity. Make sure to pick the ones that apply to you, and discard the ones that don't.

As a guy with health problems, and looking at the best case prospect of a very sedentary future, I can say this without out a doubt. Do the things you want to do, while you can, don't put 'em off. Retire as early as financially possible. Manage interactions with others in a responsible way that suits your needs (everyone is different here, with likes and dislikes of others personality traits, you may not like the people I do) . Recognize that employers and others will gladly use you up and spit you out, leaving nothing left for you, afterwards saying "bad luck". The health and well being of youth can mislead us into believing that we will always be able to do the same things after age 50 or 60.

Last fall, I got stuck in an an aircraft seat, in a stunt plane, in an empty hangar, at night. I almost called emergency services to get me out. I never panic, so I just sat there for hours, recovering my strength and thought hard about how to wedge myself up and out. It worked. About a month later, I was playing with the dog on the carpet, and could not get up. I flat out could not push myself up, pull myself up, or get on to my knees and move to a standing position. How incredibly weird. I'm now taking meds that help immensely.

Anyway, life gets harder, not easier. Be good to yourself first.

Having some health issues here and this comment really nails it for me.

I've seen similar lists over the years. Often they contain some hint of validity. Make sure to pick the ones that apply to you, and discard the ones that don't.

As a guy with health problems, and looking at the best case prospect of a very sedentary future, I can say this without out a doubt. Do the things you want to do, while you can, don't put 'em off. Retire as early as financially possible. Manage interactions with others in a responsible way that suits your needs (everyone is different here, with likes and dislikes of others personality traits, you may not like the people I do) . Recognize that employers and others will gladly use you up and spit you out, leaving nothing left for you, afterwards saying "bad luck". The health and well being of youth can mislead us into believing that we will always be able to do the same things after age 50 or 60.

Last fall, I got stuck in an an aircraft seat, in a stunt plane, in an empty hangar, at night. I almost called emergency services to get me out. I never panic, so I just sat there for hours, recovering my strength and thought hard about how to wedge myself up and out. It worked. About a month later, I was playing with the dog on the carpet, and could not get up. I flat out could not push myself up, pull myself up, or get on to my knees and move to a standing position. How incredibly weird. I'm now taking meds that help immensely.

Well said Cujet. Stay strong and I hope your medications provide some relief.

Your incredible knowledge is an inspiration to me.

Cujet, stay strong brother. As a person that also has many physical issues I feel your pain. At times I need my wife help me put on my socks and tie my shoes. I have also been in situations like you describe were a seemingly simple task is impossible. I do lots of yoga and it seems to help. I know it sounds hokey but if you find the right practitioner it can do lots of good. I hate that I need to rely on meds to get me through tough days but I also am thankful I have them at times. Most people that know me don't even know the issues I go through and it made me realize there are lots of others out there like me. Because of this my mental attitude towards people has changed, I am much easier going and try to remember the person I am dealing with might have issues as well. Some people in our position get real sour, I am trying hard to not be one of them.

I have solidarity with you and sending good vibes

Validator, sorry for your loss.

Back