Something in my PSU or motherboard is jacked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have exhausted my many years of experience and all understanding of computers I have trying to fix this on my personal machine at home.

Certain components are staying powered up when the computer is supposed to be shutdown. The CPU fan, case fans, motherboard LEDs -- all continue to operate when the computer is off. Only way to stop them is to unplug the computer entirely.

I've disconnected every peripheral and add-on card in the hopes one was shorting out or whatever but the problem is persisting. I also tested the pins on the PSU connectors and the voltages/grounds are reading correctly. The final thing I did was to completely rip everything out and reconnect it in the hopes I did something stupid.

As of right now I cannot figure out if it's a PSU or motherboard problem.

Still waiting to hear back from the motherboard manufacturer. Other info if you're curious:

eVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard
Intel Q6600
OCZ Reaper 4GB
GTX260
Thermaltake 600W PSU
Antec P182 case

The computer actually runs just fine...but I don't want the problem to snowball where suddenly the thing won't power up or the CPU fries.

I should add that the case fans are actually fed off the Molex 4-pin power connectors straight from the PSU, they do not connect to the motherboard fan ports.

This is what's puzzling -- those should be "off" but are not. It's like the motherboard AND PSU are both screwy.

What OS are you using and how are you shutting the machine down?

When you start the machine back up, does it go through the normal Windows (i assume you are using windows?) startup process or does it say that it's resuming? Does it say it was not shut down correctly if you "turn it off" and then unplug it?

Windows 7 x64. It shuts down cleanly like it always did. And it boots normally. I've had this machine for a while now, no changes.

If, after it shuts down, I yank the power, then boot up -- says startup was normal.

Like I said, Windows is shutting down and booting just fine. There's power still being supplied to most of the computer though. I've cleared the CMOS several times and even popped the battery out to be safe.

Does your computer shut down correctly in safe mode? (hold F8 key on start up, before the Windows logo)

Yes.

It's not a Windows or software problem. Even Ubuntu and Fedora work just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Yes.

It's not a Windows or software problem. Even Ubuntu and Fedora work just fine.

err.. what? Your statements are opposing each other.

It works correctly in safe mode and Ubuntu and Fedora, but doesn't work in Windows 7 normal mode? Doesn't that practically define a software issue in Windows 7 normal mode?

What I meant was the problem persists in Windows, Ubuntu, Fedora, even booting to a Memtest CD.

what if it's running and you hold the case power button down for 5 seconds?

What I'm getting at, is it may accidentally be sleeping instead.

Boots normally. The MB beeps and goes trough POST.

It's not hibernating or hybrid sleeping either, from what I can tell.

All the PSU pins are sending the correct power. Now the thing won't even POST -- gets stuck before it can even beep. The LCD display doesn't show an error, just "1D" which is "Early PM Initialization". That's related to memory. Now I see this regardless of which RAM is in which slot, even at default settings.

Finally got somewhere today. Motherboard is refusing to boot with certain sticks of RAM in certain slots. No idea why...memory tests out just fine. Some slots it just gives a long beep, others it won't POST, others it works just fine. As of now it is running (albeit with only 2GB).

I'm just RMAing the board. Glad I bought an extended warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back