Someone's mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we deal with ladies who are older one thing I try to always keep in mind is that she is someone's mother. Today I had to tell two sons that their mom was closing to passing away. She is in her mid 90s. This is not an easy conversation by any means. But it went well with both of her sons.

She has been under my care for the last year. I have always remembered that she was someone's mother. She had such a kind hearted way about her. She always appreciated when I helped her out. I enjoyed her company very much. So, when today when I had the opportunity to speak with her sons I felt very comfortable with this even though it is hard. It's only hard when you are telling them that their mom's time is very, very short indeed.

Guys, I know I talk about somethings on here that are serious in nature. But there is good reason for it when I do. That lady could be your mom. I want to treat that lady just like she is my own mom. I want her to feel safe, cared for and comfortable as she can be. There was no greater feeling than we I helped this lady get into her recliner. As I lowered her into her favorite recliner I would hold her and gently lower her into her into it. I would talk to her the whole time reassuring her that I had her and that she was going to be all right. The look of relief on here face was always great to see. She would always thank me and tell me I was so nice to her. That really meant a lot..

Today, she still recognized me and my voice. To see her relax, and know that I was there for her was great. My voice is remarkably similar to Josh Turner, so I stand out in a sea of ladies who typically care for her. It was an honor and privilege to take care of that lady for the past year. I told both of her sons that as well. She could be your mom. She could be my mom. How would I want my mother to be cared for?? I try very, very hard to treat all of those ladies and men in my care like they are my own.

We all have mothers. And yes we are all grown men. But, one thing can get to any man's heart is what's going on with their mother, how she is feeling, is she in pain, is she uncomfortable, is she safe etc. And sometimes... It is good to be serious. When it comes to someone's mom is a great time to be just that. I hope you all have a good day today guys. And if you haven't called or seen your mom lately... Today would be a good day to do just that.

If more people were like you in the health care profession the world would be a better place. Kudos to you for your kindness and caring for this woman.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
It was an honor and privilege to take care of that lady for the past year.

Excellent statement. So many in healthcare get this concept, and so many don't. To make that statement, you are in healthcare for the right reasons!!

At this point, you are also caring for the family. Not everyone understands the stresses and emotional drain that can come from doing this day in and day out. Just don't burn out. Make sure you take time for yourself and your family.

You sound like a fantastic nurse, that your hospital is lucky to have.

Good Job!!!!!

Bryan

My Mom was in a nursing home for most of last year. The Nurses and LNA were great - Drs and Admin not so much. I gave the LNA all Christmas "gift" cards and the mgmt. took them away. The lna were making only 12 bucks and hour! Ive never seen people work so hard.

Thank you.

On a spectrum from being a cold hearted non-feeling person to the other end of the spectrum and being very compassionate, there is a small range where nurses and health care givers live. I'm a big softee. I don't know how people do it. It's such a hard job. My mother was in a nursing home before she passed. The nurses there were great. Really great people.

I wish BBHERO had tsken care of my Mom in her declining years. Or my Dad during his last 3 months spent in the hospital. I vividly remember having to get the floor DON to remove his lung doctor and his heart doctor from his room while they argued about his condition being the other ones fault right in front of me.
The majority of doctors, (IMO), have a God complex, think they do no wrong, and incredibly enough, continue to get paid obscene amounts of money regardless of performance or outcomes.

Couldn't agree with you more about doctors who think they walk on water. It's hard to find a doctor who will listen to a patient over sixty seconds. I'd like to shoot my GP but I have my doubts about finding another doctor who will take time to explain things. Most of them are trying to get out the door about a minute after they arrive. They just don't give a dam.

The best doctor I ever had was Dr. Barham. He would actually listen to me, examine me thoroughly, tell me what he thought was wrong, and WHY he thought it was the problem. He even had a couple of other doctors he would recommend if I wanted a second opinion.

BB,

Excellent sentiment...and the best part is it wasn't saved for Mother's Day. My mom is getting close and I do many more things for her than I did in years past. Things I've done for her recently are, in many ways, some of the most rewarding things that I've done in my life when you fold in the big picture and what's really important.

Hopefully, this won't degenerate into a healthcare debate...but on here anything's possible...

Last edited:
Hey, BB. Can you come to my house and take care of me? Care at the level you're in is very important. Maybe essential is a better word. I also think that older nurses and support people that have hit a few bumps in the road with their health do a better job.

OneEyeJack

You know my friend I would be honored to be there with you and for you. You are in my thoughts often and I'm always here for you.

I really appreciate all of you guys comments here. I am so very fortunate and blessed to do all that I do. The people I take care of are wonderful people who make my life so much better. They are the reason I enjoy my position ay work so much.

You know the more I live the more I realize that the word written in red have so much meaning. Loving others, treating people like you would like to treated, what it truly means to be a friend to someone, and so much more.

I really enjoy being on here with you all. If any of you all need anything at all know that I am here for you. I will do everything I can to help any of you all out. Speaking of which I have to check on someone on here right now. I hope you all have a good day today guys. Keep on, rocking on, and kicking hind quarters and taking names!

Kind words, BB. He knows my current situation and I'm not accepting it well. I'm in the hospital right now and doing everything I know to get out of this place one more time. People like BB are a blessing. On top of that BB has his own struggles but he puts them out of the way and forges ahead. God bless people like BB. You'll understand that sentiment when you get older.

So BB, what do you think about moving to the west coast? (lol)

I greatly appreciate what you are saying. I am the fortunate one to be able to do all that I do. To be able to meet so many great people and help them the best I can is a blessing and honor. I know what it's like to be a patient, to struggle, to get in a rough place mentally, to not understand why what happens, and so much more. With my illness I am very fortunate to help others out. It is just great to treat those people like they are my own. Does something to you when you enter a room and that person lights up.... It's tremendous. It is an honor.

As for moving out west.... Just too far away from my and my lady's family. I feel a deep need to be close to them. Even though I've thought seriously about moving to western NC, or southwest Va, and even Vermont. I just don't want to leave them and be that far away from all of them.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I greatly appreciate what you are saying. I am the fortunate one to be able to do all that I do. To be able to meet so many great people and help them the best I can is a blessing and honor. I know what it's like to be a patient, to struggle, to get in a rough place mentally, to not understand why what happens, and so much more. With my illness I am very fortunate to help others out. It is just great to treat those people like they are my own. Does something to you when you enter a room and that person lights up.... It's tremendous. It is an honor.

As for moving out west.... Just too far away from my and my lady's family. I feel a deep need to be close to them. Even though I've thought seriously about moving to western NC, or southwest Va, and even Vermont. I just don't want to leave them and be that far away from all of them.

Bbhero is a wonderful person and wonderful addition to BITOG. A class act
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Couldn't agree with you more about doctors who think they walk on water. It's hard to find a doctor who will listen to a patient over sixty seconds. I'd like to shoot my GP but I have my doubts about finding another doctor who will take time to explain things. Most of them are trying to get out the door about a minute after they arrive. They just don't give a dam.

Was just reading an article last night about how it's now ok for residents to work 24 hour days (which means 28 hours, as there is shift overlap). Article went on to say that docs who survive often go on to work 60-75 hour weeks in their careers. Ouch.

Anyhow... I'll pile on and agree, bhero is a class act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back